what is required air pressure for powermax 45

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
rustyhook
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

what is required air pressure for powermax 45

Post by rustyhook »

what is the minimum required air pressure that must be going to my hypertherm powermax 45
to insure proper torch cutting?

i have a 60 gal ingersoll that pressures up to 175 psi then stops. during cutting the pressure drops
and it does not re-fill until around 80 psi. I'm using 3/8" air lines. I have a regulator leading out of the
compressor set at 100 psi and i always set the powermax 45 correctly before cutting.

Is this sufficent air pressure or is there a more preferred setting?

RH

thanks-in-advance
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: what is required air pressure for powermax 45

Post by jimcolt »

The operators manual for a Powermax45 says that the inlet pressure must always be between 90 and 135 psi....with the air flowing at the torch. To make the air flow, turn the amperagfe knob fully counter clockwise. Then install a pressure gauge right at the rear panel air inlet...that is where the pressure needs to be read. If you are reading the pressure back at the compressor you will not se th pressure drop that occurs through the hose and fittings...and this will only show when the air is flowing. Her is a picture of a gauge you can put together for less than $20 with parts from any hardware store:

Jim Colt Hypertherm
powermaxpressuregauge 002.JPG
powermaxpressuregauge 001.JPG

rustyhook wrote:what is the minimum required air pressure that must be going to my hypertherm powermax 45
to insure proper torch cutting?

i have a 60 gal ingersoll that pressures up to 175 psi then stops. during cutting the pressure drops
and it does not re-fill until around 80 psi. I'm using 3/8" air lines. I have a regulator leading out of the
compressor set at 100 psi and i always set the powermax 45 correctly before cutting.

Is this sufficent air pressure or is there a more preferred setting?

RH

thanks-in-advance
kb3gun
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kb3gun »

You should be able to adjust the switch so you're compressor will turn on earlier. Mine has a set screw on the pressure switch (at the power inlet) that I adjusted to turn on at 95 psi.
-Smitty
Torchmate 4X4 Growth Series w/AVHC
Hypertherm PM45 w/ Machine Torch
Miller Syncrowave 210 TIG
planetxfred
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by planetxfred »

There are generally two adjusting screws on pressure regulators.
One moves both cut in and cut out pressure,
The other adjusts the difference between them.
It appears that your max pressure (cut out) is too high and your min pressure (cut in is too low).
It will take some adjusting of both screws, but you should get it to cut in around 95 and cut out around 120 or 130.
It will serve the torch much better and be easier on the compressor. It will run a little more often, but will not have to pump against such high pressure.
Fred

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”