To Use Bigger or Smaller Nozzles

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

To Use Bigger or Smaller Nozzles

Post by beefy »

Did a cut today on 10mm steel with a Hypertherm Duramax machine torch. I used 65 amp nozzles although I could have used the 85 amp nozzles. Used the book specs and the cut came out OK.

In general what differences in edge quality would you find (for a given thickness of metal) using the larger and the smaller nozzles.

And then there's heat input & warping. Although a higher amp nozzle will put out more heat, it also travels faster.

Keith
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: To Use Bigger or Smaller Nozzles

Post by jimcolt »

Using the smallest nozzle and amperage rating that your Hypertherm cut charts list for the material thickkness being cut will provide the best edge angularity, narrower kerf width and a smoother cut edge. A larger nozzle / amperage will cut faster, with less chance of dross and with a bit rougher of a cut edge.

If you follow the cut specs in the Hypertherm manual....using the cut speeds and cut height.....then warpage will not be an issue with any of the processes listed in the cut charts for the material being cut. Warpage is a function of either cutting with too much power, and/or cutting too slow, and/or cutting with too much torch to workd distance.

The best cut on 10 mm with your system will be using the 65 amp shielded nozzle at the "book" cutting specs. Hypertherm process engineers spent months in the cut labs, cutting tons of metal plate of all thicknesses in order to develop specs that provide the best cut quality , consumable life and edge angularity possible.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

beefy wrote:Did a cut today on 10mm steel with a Hypertherm Duramax machine torch. I used 65 amp nozzles although I could have used the 85 amp nozzles. Used the book specs and the cut came out OK.

In general what differences in edge quality would you find (for a given thickness of metal) using the larger and the smaller nozzles.

And then there's heat input & warping. Although a higher amp nozzle will put out more heat, it also travels faster.

Keith
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Thanks very much Jim.

One thing I like about Hypertherm is the book cutting specs. I know I can just punch them in and the cut generally comes out good. I've certainly heard the opposite from people using plasma systems from other manufacturers.

Cheers,

Keith
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

If you saw Hypertherm's budget for steel (and aluminum and stainless) plate that is only used for testing consumables and developing new process parameters.....then you would understand why our cut specs are good. We spend well over a million US dollars annually on steel that is recycled as scrap....just for this purpose!

Jim Colt

beefy wrote:Thanks very much Jim.

One thing I like about Hypertherm is the book cutting specs. I know I can just punch them in and the cut generally comes out good. I've certainly heard the opposite from people using plasma systems from other manufacturers.

Cheers,

Keith
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

That's probably a good advertising point for Hypertherm, the customer won't have to spend time and money doing test cuts, especially on the thicker more expensive stuff.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
hardsteel
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by hardsteel »

hi guys
jim, i have PW85 , what in case i use 85A nozzle with 65A power to cut 1/4 in (6mm) mild steel with Hypertherm cut charts list for this material thickkness, would this increase electrode and nozzle life or nothing will change ?.
and in case i cut 1/4 in (6mm) mild steel with 85A nozzle and 85A power , will the electrode last with the same length i cut comparing with 65A nozzle , 65A power? .i mean are they last and giving me the same Productivity ( saving time of cut ).

Rafik Alhaji.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

If you use an 85 amp nozzle at less than 85 amps.....expect worse edge angularity, dross and possibly plate warpage. It is possible that you will get slightly longer nozzle life.

It costs you about 1/2 cent per foot of cut when using the 65 amp process to cut 1/2" steel. There is not a less expensive way to cut steel. Saving money by cutting at lower amperage on a nozzle designed for higher amperage will not work....as you will have parts that will need secondary work (grinding).

Jim Colt Hypertherm

hardsteel wrote:hi guys
jim, i have PW85 , what in case i use 85A nozzle with 65A power to cut 1/4 in (6mm) mild steel with Hypertherm cut charts list for this material thickkness, would this increase electrode and nozzle life or nothing will change ?.
and in case i cut 1/4 in (6mm) mild steel with 85A nozzle and 85A power , will the electrode last with the same length i cut comparing with 65A nozzle , 65A power? .i mean are they last and giving me the same Productivity ( saving time of cut ).

Rafik Alhaji.
hardsteel
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by hardsteel »

Mr jim. ( ignore cutting quality ) , suppose that when i use 65A to cut 1/4 thick it cuts up to 200 feet then it last , in case in this time i use 85A , will it last (electrode ) and gives me the same long of cutting (200feet) ?.which one will cost more (cent/foot) 65A or 85A ?

i hope i am clear
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

There is only one electrode for the Powermax65for all consumable sets and power levels. The nozzles are different for different power levels....and always work best at their maximum rating.

An 85 amp nozzle running at 65 maps may last slightly longer than the same nozzle running at 85 amps......however it will cut slower and with lesser quality. When running at 85 amps.....you will cut more metal in a shorter period of time.....so the cost per foot of cut will be lower than at 65 amps.

I typically use a 65 amp nozzle at 65 amps, an 85 amp nozzle at 85 amps. This provides the best combination of cut speed, cut quality and consumable life. Hypertherm spent a lot of engineering time developing the different consumables and cut charts in order to optimize the process for a variety of materials. If you operate the system atdifferent specifications than designed for....results will vary.

To me it makes no sense to run an 85 amp nozzle at 65 amps. The nozzles cost the same.

Jim Colt

hardsteel wrote:Mr jim. ( ignore cutting quality ) , suppose that when i use 65A to cut 1/4 thick it cuts up to 200 feet then it last , in case in this time i use 85A , will it last (electrode ) and gives me the same long of cutting (200feet) ?.which one will cost more (cent/foot) 65A or 85A ?

i hope i am clear

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”