PM85 cut issues

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
NorthridgeFab
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

PM85 cut issues

Post by NorthridgeFab »

We are running a PM85 on our table and am having major issues with cutting 1/2" steel. We get divots on the bottom of the cut and a lot of bevel. The biggest problem is, it wont cut through the material completely in places. It just gouges it. We are using the quaility settings from the manual for 85A. Feedrate is 45ipm at .06" cut height. We have to slow down to 35-39ipm to get to cut the entire part without gouging places and the edge looks horrible. Not having issues with other thicknesses like 1/4". Here is what we have done so far to try and fix the problem:

Add a large air condenser
Motorgaurd's top of the line filter/sep system
Gauge at the back of the cutter to monitor psi
New Powermax85 cutter
Some torch, but we did try a new torch briefly with the same results
All new torch end parts (retainer, o-ring, electrode, etc...)

Here's a video of it gouging the plate: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/C ... directlink
benval76
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: PM85 cut issues

Post by benval76 »

I recently cut some 1/2 inch plate using Jim Colt's recommendation of running at 60 percent production cut speed with the height control turned off. I ran with the book specs on pierce height and delay. There was a little bit of excessive bottom side dross, but on the whole it cut very well with minimal bevel. I don't have my book in front of me at the moment. I want to say it was at 20 or 22 ipm with pierce height at .15 and cut height at .06. I will check my settings tomorrow to know for sure.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”