Metal Bowing

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
AnthonyD
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Metal Bowing

Post by AnthonyD »

I hoping someone can give me some advice as my AVHC is not working and have been having to set torch height manually and cuts have been terrible. I'm cutting 14 ga CR steel at 130 IMP, 40 amps, 40 amp tip and 95 voltage. Problem is I do line test cuts and line voltage test, to get these setting and they work fine but then metal bows when it begins to make several cuts about 300 inches and starts hitting tip. Then the cut quality becomes poor. Thanks guys and gals..

2009 TM 2 4'x 8'
Thermal Dynamics A60
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Metal Bowing

Post by Largemouthlou »

Well for short tearm try using a big spray can full of cold water and mist the metal as it is cutting.. But this will only be a band aid!!
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
JEd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by JEd »

If its warping and hitting the tip then the AVHC isn't working. It should be adjusting out of the way.

With my torchmate 4X4 and Hypertherm PM65 I cut 14 gauge CR with 45 amp finecut consumables set to 40 amps at 100 IPM and 87 volts if I remember correctly. Virtually no cleanup required.
Marty
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Marty »

Whowa!

Exactly what are the plasma cutter manufactures recommended cut speed and voltage for the material you are cutting?? AND exactly what are the actual speeds and voltage you use that are causing the problem?

I was having a warp problem which was solved , for me at least , by raising my water level

However, The warp problem arose after I solved a problem with ""torch not cutting all the way through" , so I solved that problem by lowering cut speed 20 % from the Hypertherm manual recommended Fine Cut speeds...........but when I slowed cut speed to solve
"torch not cutting all the way through problem " the warp problem arose, so I raised my water level such that the water now is in contact with the material sheet being cut

I have a Hypertherm M65 and use Fine Cut Consumables at 45 amps for 10-16 gauge CR steel
I set speed at 20 % below Hypertherm book specs for Fine Cut , all,other parameters stay same BUT I have a water table and keep the water level so it is touching the material. If you have a downdraft table I cannot make any other suggestions, but I am told that Hyperthem laboratory cut charts are on the basis of a downdraft table
Marty
Ignition Metal Art Design

Give a man a fish and you have taught him where to come for a fish; Teach him to use Google and the Search Engine on Plasma Spider and he will be able to learn more than you could ever teach him yourself
AnthonyD
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by AnthonyD »

Thanks for the comments and advice. I wish I knew how to transform my table to a water type, but I will cross that bridge later. I sent in HC to Torchmate and I'm hoping they don't say I need a new one. But will see what happens. I guess the gest of it is that metal is getting to hot and warping so water table would help with that. Thanks guys.

On a personal note.... everyone on this site has been great and helpful, it is frustrating as I am wanting to cut metal and share with you guys but just can't get my machine right, because its always something. I have two jobs that I will probally loose because of it. Dang it

Hoping torchmate will get this one right and help me get a fully functional cnc machine like they promised when I bought it.
Thanks again! and God Bless.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”