Introduction

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Curtis
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Introduction

Post by Curtis »

Good morning all, my name is Curtis. Thank you for allowing me into the cool kids group.I recently picked up an ldr motion systems. Plasma table, it runs mach three with sheet cam. The only experience I have with plasma is making a few cuts by hand on some metal at the house. My son and I want to make mini bikes and go carts, and I thought a plasma table would make that simple enough to cut the brackets and mounting plates. However, I didn't realize the amount of technology involved in regards to the computer system. Mach 3, sheet cam things that I don't have any knowledge of whatsoever. I think I might have gotten in over my head. And I'm really hopeful that there's some big brain folks in this group that might be able to lend a hand.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Introduction

Post by acourtjester »

You are starting out like many here, I had not experience with CNC or CAD/CAM that was in 2012. Since then I scratch built 10 tables and can keep my head above water. When looking at the big picture to see how things are connected it starts to make sense. Understanding that there are separate needs and operations, look at them that way to formulate how they are connected. You have a goal and now you need to learn how to get there.
There are many members here that have help others so many of you questions will not be the first. One help is the search function in the upper right for you to look around, which may get you a quicker answer. Go slowly and ask single questions to get clear answers then move on to the next. There are many tutorial videos on YouTube that you can watch and some table manufactures have videos too.
Where are you located?? somebody may be close to help
https://arclightcnc.com/support/support-videos
https://www.langmuirsystems.com/software
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Curtis - welcome aboard! Did your ldr table come with a PC loaded with the software you mention? If so, what drawing programs did it come with - and have you tried to draw anything yet? What cad drawing program are you learning or wanting to learn to use? Many here use Inkscape (free), Fusion 350 (free) as well as some of the other cad programs - some free and some purchased. If you have an example of a bracket you want to draw, you could show us a photo and we could give you some instruction doing the actual drawing with whatever cad program you plan to use.

David
Curtis
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Curtis »

Thank you acourtjester and David for responding. My table came with inkscape, Autocad, sheetcam and Mach 3. I have been on YouTube university for weeks now trying to to learn how to operate the system. Sometimes the table will cut but most of the time it doesn't. I live in tucson az, and am finding it extremely difficult to find anyone who can help. I'm starting to think that mabey the Mach 3 program is corrupt. Here's the rundown of my problems. 1. On test cuts it will start cutting for about an inch then the torch will raise to the point of shutting arc off not cutting completely for about another inch. 2. I load image into sheetcam, use colored fill to ensure closed line, get cut path i can see visually then post process and generate gcode. Open Mach 3, import image and load gcode. Only a small percentage of the image is highlighted for cutting. Sorry post is so long.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Perhaps post some screen shots of your Mach3 screens as well as your SheetCam so we can get a better idea of what you are looking at. My understanding is that LDR went out of business a while back, so that is unfortunate since there is no longer factory support to answer some of your questions.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Curtis wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 8:10 am 1. On test cuts it will start cutting for about an inch then the torch will raise to the point of shutting arc off not cutting completely for about another inch.
Have you tried running it with the torch turned off to see if it will follow the complete cut paths from beginning to end? Some would call this a "dry run". Have you calibrated your height control? Tom will know more about the Mach3 stuff, as I only use Mach 3 for my AvidCNC router table.

David
Curtis
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Curtis »

I'm sorry. I don't know how to upload a picture. I took three of them
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Curtis wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 9:05 am I'm sorry. I don't know how to upload a picture. I took three of them
attachments 1.jpg
attachments 2.jpg
attachments 3.jpg
attachments 4.jpg
TR6SR.jpg
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Ok Curtis for the (On test cuts it will start cutting for about an inch then the torch will raise to the point of shutting arc off not cutting completely )
This may be due to the settings for THC. THC starts to control the torch height after a delay to allow the arc to stabilize, Not sure of the type your table uses. But I use about .5 sec, this is not the same delay in the G-code for the pierce to happen, but in the THC setup. You arc voltage may not be correct and this is why it rises, or dives to the metal.
here is a video on how to check the arc voltage and pierce height using a THC.

There is a trick I use with SheetCam to see if the path is open. Click on the start Icon neat the top of the screen, this is used to move the start of the cut to where you want to start. you can see the additional start marker in the screen shot. And the original start location, you can relocate the start any where on the path you want. But if it will not move the path is open, you can go back to the original drawing to correct that. It shows where to look for the break in the path for you to correct it.
Attachments
start marker.jpg
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Curtis
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Curtis »

[img]
20241013_055541.jpg
[/im
20241013_055840.jpg
g]
20241013_055828.jpg
20241013_055541.jpg
Curtis
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Curtis »

I was able to cut my very first image today. I had to turn off thc, and put it on manual. I ran it just like you said, dry and it seemed like it was going to cut the entire image. Running it without the thc, made it not stop the arc and was able to complete the cut. I'm so excited!!
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

All ways a good feeling when that happens. You are working out the finer details, things become mush easier as you learn. Funny here is one I did years ago
F bomb (1).JPG
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Curtis
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Curtis »

I love it. Even my honey giggled. I think I'm starting to understand a little. Always a work in progress.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I'm 81 and still learning, never know what fun is still out there. :HaHa :HaHa
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Curtis
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Curtis »

What is a drag knife and scribe? Do you think my machine has the capability to " etch " into metal?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Curtis wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 3:54 am What is a drag knife and scribe? Do you think my machine has the capability to " etch " into metal?
Curtis - by "etch" into metal do you mean engrave or scribe? If so, then I think the answer is "Yes". Scribing and/or engraving can be accomplished by either something like the Easyscriber

https://www.theeasyscriber.com/

or a pneumatic scriber/engraver.

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Curtis wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 3:54 am What is a drag knife?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Curtis wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 5:55 pm I was able to cut my very first image today. I had to turn off thc, and put it on manual. I ran it just like you said, dry and it seemed like it was going to cut the entire image. Running it without the thc, made it not stop the arc and was able to complete the cut. I'm so excited!!
Curtis - happy to hear you are having some success! By the way, I also live in Tucson.

David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Well Curtis you are a neighbor to one of the most active and helpful member on PS. I think some show and tell time would be well spent, just remember David is running his business so be mindful of his time. Have fun
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Curtis
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Curtis »

Thanks guys for all your help and the boost in confidence. I am very excited to have cut my first piece yesterday. Adbunch you are correct i meant scribe.that is fantastic , that could bring on a whole other level of artistic capabilities. I'm eager to learn! David at some point i would love to meet up and chat. Obviously if you would be comfortable with it and if you weren't busy. I definitely have some questions about the scribe function.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”