Command CNC torch height jumps UP

CommandCNC related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Nuke Utter
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Command CNC torch height jumps UP

Post by Nuke Utter »

Hey everyone! I'm new to the group, I'm a welder by trade and am trying to set myself up for business. I bought a table running command cnc.
It worked fine for the first week for testing. Then I didn't use it for a couple weeks, waiting for electrical upgrades, now the torch height jumps up 3/8" runs the path but won't cut, even the test pieces I've already cut dont work now. I've tried adjusting my torch height/delay and material thickness with no progress.
Can anybody please give me some insight as to what I'm doing wrong?

Changed tips, cleaned ground on material, adjusted height setting and even tried shutting off auto torch height, it still goes up the same distance, or goes slow at first then just stops.
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!

Everlast 82i
Sheetcam
Command cnc
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Need help

Post by adbuch »

Did your table come with a manual that explains how to calibrate the torch height control? It sounds to me like you might need to recalibrate your thc so that it zeros on the top of the material you are cutting. Other members with more experience with command cnc should be able to provide more details.

David
Nuke Utter
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Nuke Utter »

I tried zeroing it at different heights and it still goes up the same distance. Tried different voltages.
Even In the manual burn it will cut out before piercing the plate.
There's software tutorials but I didn't find them very helpful. I've seen older posts on the site but the versions are much older so it kind of confused me.
The guy I bought the table off was trying to help but my messages stopped going through now so he may have blocked me ( or bad reception)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Nuke Utter wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 3:30 am I tried zeroing it at different heights and it still goes up the same distance. Tried different voltages.
Even In the manual burn it will cut out before piercing the plate.
There's software tutorials but I didn't find them very helpful. I've seen older posts on the site but the versions are much older so it kind of confused me.
The guy I bought the table off was trying to help but my messages stopped going through now so he may have blocked me ( or bad reception)
What kind of table did you buy? Did your table come with a manual that explains how to calibrate the height control? Perhaps share some screen shots of your control software setting pages that you see on your monitor so we can get a better idea of what you are dealing with.

David
Nuke Utter
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Nuke Utter »

This may be helpful.
03ece1f6-7c0c-4917-bcb8-38910eab38b0.jpg
20241009_210204.jpg
20241009_210204.jpg
20241009_225830.jpg
t]
Attachments
20241009_210034.jpg
103c843f-0f0e-43d1-bdd1-51d4e3c1d3a8.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Do you have a manual for the controller? What brand of plasma table do you have?
Nuke Utter
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Nuke Utter »

So I had a semi local guy make it for me. There were no manuals, just the tutorials in the software which didn't really help.
I use fusion on my PC to create the files. Then sheet cam and command cnc on my table to cut.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Can you hire the guy that built it to come to your shop and make it work?
Nuke Utter
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Nuke Utter »

I tried, even offered more cash but it's.looking like he blocked me maybe.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Nuke Utter wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 4:26 am I tried, even offered more cash but it's.looking like he blocked me maybe.
Have you called him on the phone? Where is he located, and what is the name of his company? Does he have a Facebook page for his business? How does he advertise, and how did you find out about him? And where are you located? Did you go pick it up or did he come to your shop to install it and show you how to run it?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Also perhaps share some photos of your table so we can see exactly what you have.
Nuke Utter
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Nuke Utter »

I can add photos of my whole setup tomorrow. I found him on Facebook, he has no website but I know where his shop is. I don't know forsure he blocked me, (stopped receiving my messages, and doesn't answer calls) he may just be busy or out of service range, but I have an urgent job that may land me a big client, and need to figure it out ASAP. Is all
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

What is his Facebook page?
Nuke Utter
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Nuke Utter »

He doesn't have one, just advertised on marketplace. I don't wanna drag his name through the mud or anything. He may still end up helping (hopefullly) I was just hoping someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

If you know where his shop is, I would make a point to go to his shop asap and talk to him to make arrangements to have him help you to get it going. If he is an honest business man, then he should stand behind his work and take care of you.

David
Nuke Utter
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Nuke Utter »

It's a couple hours away and I'm super busy. I was just hoping I was making a simple mistake that someone here could trouble shoot. It seems to be a common issue in older posts, but there older versions and I've tried the steps listed in those with no success. With me being extremely unexperienced I don't wanna keep messing with my settings to the point of no return.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Maybe one of the Toms will chime in later today with some better information to help troubleshoot your table. I'll look forward to seeing what they have to say.

David
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

If it's a commandcnc system, give candcnc a call. They should be able to help you troubleshoot. They also have a support forum.
Post your tool settings. I also see that reverse cut direction isn't checked. Probably not the cause of your torch raising, but I've always seen that checked. Maybe commandcnc is different, though.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

As stated above with CommandCNC, that is where your best help will come from, there are some members here that use CommandCNC and may hop on the post. For a real shot in the dark are you doing the homing of the table at power up, many systems this must be done before anything else. You can move things before but to get fully functional it must be homed.
You have not listed your location, help may be close.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

In you screen shot there are errors with the "E" stop, probe tripped, and A limit, you may have a switch tripped or broken.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Tom - I noticed those errors also. I had just assumed that was not trying to run the machine when he took those photos and was only wanting to show us what the settings screens looked like. I think if the Estop is engaged, his table would not move at all.

David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Yes sir with the "E" stop but the time stamp in the error screen are all about the same time??
Also show a spindle error?
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

the G38 command is a probe action and if the torch is to high and the command is to short(down movement distance) it times out and you get that error. The Tom he need is Tom C :Like
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Keep it simple. Before changing too much or anything at this point I would do a simple 24" long straight line test cut with the THC OFF and determine if the system behaves differently. If it cuts properly then we know for a fact that your THC is what needs to be looked at. If it still is not cutting properly we need to get it cutting properly with THC first and then move on from there.
68rscamaro
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Command CNC torch height jumps UP

Post by 68rscamaro »

it could something as simple as you've got your target voltage too high. Hit the dthc auto button then hit dthc on. Now they should say dthc manual and dthc off. Then try and run your cut. If the torch still goes up too high then we know it's not the thc doing it. If that's the case then it could be your cut height setting is wrong or the Z axis motor is moving further than it thinks it is.

Return to “C&CNC CommandCNC”