Advices for beginner in cutting dxf gates designs

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
treerot789
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Advices for beginner in cutting dxf gates designs

Post by treerot789 »

Hello. I'd really appreciate if someone could help me regarding this subject. I have a mechanized plasma cutter which I used only for cutting metal pieces for pre-engineered metal structures.

I am a beginner in this domain, and now I would like to learn to cut home gates designs. I have found thousands of dxf designs on internet for money but most of them are very ugly :HaHa. But this is not the important fact.. I would like to learn how to use them and to modify them so I can fit in the clients dimensions.. Can anyone help with some information.. some tutorial videos? Thanks a lot!
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Advices for beginner in cutting dxf gates designs

Post by cuttinparts »

That is really going to depend on what software you are working with to modify the gate designs.

What design software are you working with?
treerot789
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by treerot789 »

For the nesting I use FastNest, is the software which came with the Cnc controller, and for modifying the designs I don’t have any software.. I’m completely blank in this subject. Do you know any program I can use?
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

I am a beginner, and also an old man that did not come up in this world with computers. I was able to learn to use Q-cad to create and modify dxf files as well as convert a dxf file to a pdf file for the client to be able to view and approve before cutting.
I can not speak for any other program. My machine came loaded with Inkscape as well for creating art pieces and converting pictures to cut parts. Inkscape has several experts on youtube that you can watch and learn how to use. I would learn it if I had a need for it. But my main cutting right now is mechanical in nature, which Q-cad works just fine for.
Both Q-cad and Inkscape are, or were, free, open source programs, and both have many youtube videos to help get started.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Both of the software packages shown above will do most of what you need and are free. Take the time a learn both and stick with them until you understand their functionality. Most software operate in a similar way so after you have a good footing and want to advance you may look at other packages. Get the basics down and then get other files (download from here or other sources) to learn how and what you want to change. In other words get your feet wet and then get in the pool, it is not that hard but you need to get you head around functions and operations. Have fun, its a great place to be. there are many fields that are using CNC related software you can really expand your projects.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cuttinparts »

treerot789 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 4:36 am For the nesting I use FastNest, is the software which came with the Cnc controller, and for modifying the designs I don’t have any software.. I’m completely blank in this subject. Do you know any program I can use?
Ok so you need to pick out some software to work with, these guys have a couple good suggestions. As for choosing it would be good to know if your designs are more mechanical or artistic. I would think for gate scenes artistic would be the answer and if that was the case and your looking for free software Inkscape would be the way to go. Plenty of support here for Inkscape as well as on Youtube. If I was choosing mechanical software my personal choice would be Fusion 360, have never used Qcad.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”