square and compass

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
vancematsalla
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

square and compass

Post by vancematsalla »

these are good looking designs , found this one and i will trace it using logic trace and create a *.dxf file to cut it on the CO2 laser
could be done on plasma easily

https://stankern.vids.io/videos/0690d1b ... nd-compass
IMG_023810.JPG
IMG_023810.JPG (54.06 KiB) Viewed 732 times
IMG_023810.JPG
IMG_023810.JPG (54.06 KiB) Viewed 732 times
mtnviewmandw
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: square and compass

Post by mtnviewmandw »

Nice work
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Nice work Stan! Thanks for sharing your project with us. I don't really use my CalComp digitizing boards much anymore, although I have 3 different sizes along with John's software package. It's nice to have in reserve, just in case the need arises. I do much of my tracing on the computer now as I find it easier for me. Glad to see you are still having fun with it.

David
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

I have a Logic Trace panel as well, but I have never found a real need for it. DesignEdge software is a powerful vector file drawing program. I haven't found anything yet, that I cannot draw with it. This square and compass design is child's play to draw from scratch. More complicated designs require more time, of course.

By the way ... That "square" is not square. :roll: I suppose it is intended to appear as if it is lying on a table?

Joe
Plasma:
PlasmaCam 4x4, Samson 510 table, Go Torch, + more
AD-AH-AM-AN-3D-CS-MU-PC - Upgrades

Lasers:
X-TOOL D1 PRO (x 4) F1, S1 (x3), P2 (x2), F1 ULTRA (x2) with conveyors, M1 ULTRA (x2) + accs.
LaserPecker 1 PRO, LP-2, LP-4 + accs
50 Watt GALVO fiber
TYVOK Spider S1 60W Diode Laser 49" x 96"

3D Printers:
CreatBot D600 PRO
Stratasys Fortus 400mc
BIGREP Studio Gen 2
MODIX Big Meter

Why pay off debt when you can die owning MILLIONS? :lol:

FREE DesignEdge Training Online Via ZOOM!
cutnweld
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cutnweld »

Inkscape could trace the main outline in less than no time. Joe, you want to sell your logic trace? I have a customer that brings in cardboard drawings of excavator hookups and often think a board would be handy.
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
Lincoln squarewave tig 255
12 Ft Durma Brake
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

cutnweld wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:47 am Inkscape could trace the main outline in less than no time. Joe, you want to sell your logic trace? I have a customer that brings in cardboard drawings of excavator hookups and often think a board would be handy.
Hmmm ... It is the 44x60" with the additional bells and whistles. I do not remember what I paid for it, but it is STILL in the original shipping box. I think I paid around $5,800.00 for it. I will contact John Walsh and ask him for a copy of the sales invoice :mrgreen:

I believe there were two resolution options and I chose the higher resolution. I might be interested, depending on your offer! I also have the 16 (?) button mouse and a few other things for it.

Also, where does it need to go?

Joe
Last edited by Joe Jones on Sat Oct 05, 2024 1:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Plasma:

Lasers:
X-TOOL D1 PRO (x 4) F1, S1 (x3), P2 (x2), F1 ULTRA (x2) with conveyors, M1 ULTRA (x2) + accs.
50 Watt GALVO fiber

3D Printers:
CreatBot D600 PRO
Stratasys Fortus 400mc
BIGREP Studio Gen 2
MODIX Big Meter

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

vancematsalla wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:21 pm ... found this one and i will trace it using logic trace and create a *.dxf file to cut it on the CO2 laser
could be done on plasma easily

That is LITERALLY the design shown on the Logic Trace website.

I find it interesting that you just happened to "find" the design that is displayed on their website as an example of the type of thing you can trace, and you indicate that you will trace it ... NOT "... using my digitizer ..." or "... using a large digitizing tablet ..." ... but " ...i will trace it using logic trace..." :lol:

Years ago, I was with a group of friends who were all going to travel from one location to another in a small convoy. The one who was driving the new CORVETTE said, "You all drive there in your cars, and I'll drive there in my Corvette ..." It was very obvious he was trying to draw attention to the fact that he HAD a new Corvette. He didn't say, "I'll drive there in my car..."

If I didn't know any better, 8-) I'd GUESS that you are a salesman for Logic Trace :roll: and your post is intended to steer people to the Logic Trace website without the need to purchase a BANNER AD from PlasmaSpider.

I suppose I could be wrong...

Naaaaahhhh!

Joe
LOGIC TRACE PHOTO.jpg
STAN KERN LOGIC TRACE PROMO.jpg
STAN KERN TEXT.jpg
Plasma:

Lasers:
50 Watt GALVO fiber

3D Printers:
CreatBot D600 PRO
Stratasys Fortus 400mc
BIGREP Studio Gen 2
MODIX Big Meter

SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

The Masonic Lodge / Free Masons were using that logo long before computers existed..
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 1:32 pm The Masonic Lodge / Free Masons were using that logo long before computers existed..
:roll: Okay. I am not quite sure ... never mind.

Joe
Plasma:

Lasers:
50 Watt GALVO fiber

3D Printers:
CreatBot D600 PRO
Stratasys Fortus 400mc
BIGREP Studio Gen 2
MODIX Big Meter

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

cutnweld wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:47 am Inkscape could trace the main outline in less than no time.
Yes, Inkscape could trace the black shape in the .jpg image, but it would be distorted, just like the image in the photo. If you bring the photo into vector design software, you will find that the circle is not round, and the center line of the design is skewed. I suppose you could produce a product based on an Inkscape trace, but I would not do it that way, because it would not be symmetrical.

For that matter, using the photo to trace the image on a digitizing board would result in the same, skewed shape. You cannot trace a photo of an egg, and expect to end up with a circle.

Joe
Plasma:

Lasers:
50 Watt GALVO fiber

3D Printers:
CreatBot D600 PRO
Stratasys Fortus 400mc
BIGREP Studio Gen 2
MODIX Big Meter

cutnweld

Post by cutnweld »

Right. However would it not be fairly simple to then pull the trace until the circle is round?
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
Lincoln squarewave tig 255
12 Ft Durma Brake
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

cutnweld wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 2:19 pm Right. However would it not be fairly simple to then pull the trace until the circle is round?
Yes, you can "un-skew" an image somewhat. For things like metal art, it really doesn't matter if the chicken is 8" long, or 8-1/2" long. When you get into symmetrical designs, the problem is, one correction that is then photographed and corrected by someone else, and as the cycle continues, the design drifts further and further from the original design.

I suppose it really doesn't matter much, unless you are trying to make machine parts or something. No one would ever make a gear or a sprocket based solely on a traced photograph! Well ... :roll:

I SEE flaws like this. They poke me in the eye, just like spelling errors! (Catholic schools.) I am left-handed. A Southpaw! I think in pictures. If I have ever seen the original design of something, I can almost immediately spot the copy if it isn't precise.

Back when I was 23, I used to work for Armored Transport, an armored car carrier in Los Angeles. I walked around the streets of L.A. with a .357 in one hand, and a big bag of cash on the other shoulder, or pushing a cart loaded with bags of cash, or food stamps, or checks, or whatever ... picking up deposits from large companies, the race track, and such. It was WEIRD! I quickly got to the point where I could sit in a vault on a pile of $60 million dollars in cash, in cloth bags, and eat lunch! The money was just "stuff" no different from old shoes or beach rocks. :shock:

I was tested by the company for currency fraud detection. They handed me a big stack of $100.00 bills, and asked me to sort the REAL bills from the counterfeit bills. I flipped through them like a bank teller counting out dollar bills. I set the fakes aside and handed the real bills to the testing agent. He dropped them into the bill counter with the ultraviolet sensing light and all of that.

I scored a 100% correct detection of the fraudulent bills. :mrgreen: They offered me a job in the vault, counting currency and weeding out bogus bills. However, money is DIRTY! FILTHY! You really do not know the smell of money until you walk into a central bank cash vault with a few hundred million dollars in CASH inside. It is enough to make me hurl! I cannot stand the smell of it, and I did not want to HANDLE It eight hours each day, even with latex gloves. So I turned down the position.

Joe
Plasma:

Lasers:
50 Watt GALVO fiber

3D Printers:
CreatBot D600 PRO
Stratasys Fortus 400mc
BIGREP Studio Gen 2
MODIX Big Meter

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

cutnweld wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:47 am Inkscape could trace the main outline in less than no time. Joe, you want to sell your logic trace? I have a customer that brings in cardboard drawings of excavator hookups and often think a board would be handy.
Cutnweld - I agree - a digitizing board would be very handy for quickly converting your cardboard templates to dxf format. That is exactly what the Calcomp/Logictrace board/software does very efficiently. In fact - that is why I bought mine originally - to trace brackets and parts. In particular - if you have larger parts and might need better accuracy than taking a photo and autotracing with Inkscape.

David

https://www.logicgroup.com/English/Buy.html
calcomp.jpg

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”