How to keep Sheetcam from separating a cut into two cuts...

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
shiner2001
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

How to keep Sheetcam from separating a cut into two cuts...

Post by shiner2001 »

Not sure if that makes sense or not. What I am trying to accomplish is to make sure that when I take a drawing into Sheetcam that should be one long continuous cut, but part of it "bottlenecks" into a tight spot, that Sheetcam doesn't separate that and add in another pierce and leave material where it shouldn't be. Much easier explained in the picture below. In this example, the "e" and two "l"s in Lowell should all be connected, but the tail that connects them is pretty tight, so Sheetcam stops the cut and moves past that, repiercing on the next letter. Same thing with the "n" in Jan. It looks like there is a period after the "n," but that should just be a tail, similar to the "L" in Lowell. The "w" also was affected by this. Any suggestions on how to "force" Sheetcam to stick to the drawing? I figured I could change the kerf width setting and it would think it could fit the whole cut, but that would probably have an adverse affect on getting exact dimensions.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Derek
Precision Plasma LD 4x8
CandCNC BladeRunner EtherCut Mark IV
HT PM 45
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: How to keep Sheetcam from separating a cut into two cuts...

Post by Brand X »

Try changing the options/application options /Drawing import/import link tolerance, make it larger #,,.. Just a guess on your issue..
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

Yeah - I have changed the kerf if I'm in a hurry. You can only go so far before it ends up cutting off something it shouldn't because of the inaccurate kerf. I usually go back to the drawing an enlarge those areas and re-import into SheetCam until it makes it through. Another option would be to program a line that is offset by the kerf size and then program a no offset operation in sheetcam.

HTH
Paul
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

You are going to have to learn to Draw it so it CAN cut it. IF the space you are cutting is less than the Kerf width you told Scam to use then Scam will NOT cut it. It will bypass that part of the drawing . You would have seen that when you created the operations. IF scale is that important then you would need to redraw that section to make the TAIL a single line cut so that teh e would be connected to the L.

Plasma cutting at small scale can be like trying to paint the Mono Lisa with a 6" house brush.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

The only way would be to make the cut "on Line" and then do the offsets in the drawing. On line just cuts the lines and does not check for fit . The pnly thing it won't allow is to let to lines overlap in the drawing. Si you are going to get something that could have an overlapping serf so better turn off your THC orf the voltage spike will cause it to dive. Its easy to see what the cut would look like if you just change the operation type to ON LINE and let it show you the toolpath.
shiner2001
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by shiner2001 »

Thanks for all the info, guys. I usually just change my drawing a bit if I see that it's going to get broken up in Sheetcam, so that's what I'll keep doing so I can maintain the proper offsets and whatnot. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something super easy here.
Derek
Precision Plasma LD 4x8
CandCNC BladeRunner EtherCut Mark IV
HT PM 45

Return to “SheetCam”