Where are all these nodes coming from

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Where are all these nodes coming from

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

Just recently I have a problem with either Inkscape or Sheetcam where I create a file in Inkscape such as an oval using the oval tool with only three or four nodes and a curved cut line. When I import the file into Sheetcam the oval has many more nodes and the cut line is no longer curved but instead many straight lines connecting the 50+ additional nodes. Letters seem to not be affected. The piece cuts this way as well. The file is .svg.

What has changed in Inscape or Sheetcam to cause this?

Thanks
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Where are all these nodes coming from

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

Nobody has any thoughts on this.
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Are you forgetting to 'convert to curves' ? or similar in Inkscape, I'm using Corel

Below is the 2 examples, the right hand side one has been converted, both svg
oval svg.jpg
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

Thanks for a reply. The part sketch looks like the line on the right in Inkscape but when imported into Sheetcam it looks like the segmented line on the left in your picture.

Did something get switched on in sheetcam like a check box option or something?
madddogfab
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by madddogfab »

I am having the same problem going from Corel x6 to sheetcam. Drawings have minimal nodes in corel. I export as a Dxf file and open in sheetcam. When it opens there are nodes every where.
rons
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rons »

Do a Save as SVG from Corel then import into Sheetcam. I use both X3 and 7 works every time.
4x8 Home made with PPL Gantry
Bladder water table
Candcnc EtherCut + DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM 65 machine
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel DrawX7
TurboCad 2015
211 Miller Mig
Ingersoll Rand 7.5 hp 80 gal
Harbor Ref. Dryer
Lathe, BP, 1" x 12" Cosan Miter Saw,
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

madddogfab wrote:I am having the same problem going from Corel x6 to sheetcam. Drawings have minimal nodes in corel. I export as a Dxf file and open in sheetcam. When it opens there are nodes every where.
DXF export filter in CorelDraw (all versions back to 1985) have poor DXF export. They do not do arcs or polylines. Everything is broken into hundreds of tiny line segments. The Export of DXF from Adobe Illustrator is also poor. Once its segmented you can't turn it back. The SVG export keeps the curves intact and SheetCAM reads it directly. Corels SVG export is not perfect . If you have problems do this: Do a Save As in CorelDraw as version X3 (13) then open the CDR in Inkscape. Then just save it in Inkscape as its native SVG and it will come across nicely. I had better success with my CorelDraw X4 version for both import and export with SVG. Seems like everytime they update and "improve" stuff it breaks something . I miss my older version but everybody else in the company had moved to X6 and I got tired of telling them to save their files in X4 format.

Just an FYI. . There is a utilitly you can buy to "fix" the DXF export in Corel Draw but I do not know if it works with X6 yet and the 64 bit version is different than the 32. DXF Tools by James Leonard is available on www.macromonster.com

Return to “SheetCam”