#4 SS with Protective Layer

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
KIDTech
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

#4 SS with Protective Layer

Post by KIDTech »

Anyone cut ss #4 and have some advice for me, I have cut ss but not having to keep it shiny. I assume I'll have to remove the protective sticker but I know the customer would like to keep it on....
DIY 5x10 v rail, rack and pinion
Gecko g540
Pm65 - aka game changer
Longevity ForceCut 42i is sitting on the shelf
Proma THC
ACAD, SheetCam, Mach3
Millermatic 211
NEW HORSE IN THE STABLE:
4'x8' LDR downdraft w/a scribe
Milltronics Partner 2 CNC mill
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: #4 SS with Protective Layer

Post by Gamelord »

When cutting stainless, the edge will blacken and depending on the dross on the back side, you will have to do some cleaning. Matching the finish up again after cleaning it up is a pain and very difficult to do. A burnishing tool does a very nice job though but you will have to match the sand paper to the finish. Not all #4 finishes are the same. You can also cut around the protective film with a knife and peel it back to expose the area to cut. Peel it back quite a bit because stainless will transfer heat quick and far. If you are doing inside cuts that are close you will most likely have to remove all the film, at least where you are cutting and finishing.

I don't bother ordering in finished stainless anymore because I usually have to clean and re-finish it anyways so it's not worth the extra price.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”