Aluminium cutting basics

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
meatabolism
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Aluminium cutting basics

Post by meatabolism »

Hi All I am new to this and wish to ask how to get the cleanest cut with ali

I am not happy with some of my smaller stuff (holes) I cant get a die grinder in to finish the cut up.

using a Samson table and Powermax 85 and cutting 3-4mm 5083

Any help would be appreciated
Attachments
IMG_2986a.jpg
IMG_2993a.jpg
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Aluminium cutting basics

Post by rdj357 »

If you're following the cut charts and maybe slowing down a little on the smaller holes, I don't have anything else to suggest. I use a Dremel and burr to clean up smaller holes & details. :)
Robert Johnson
PlasmaCAM GURU & Instructor
I am not affiliated with PlasmaCAM, Inc. in any way. I offer training on their equipment and software. All product and company names are trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of their respective holders. Use of them are for nominative purposes only and does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.
davek0974
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Aluminium cutting basics

Post by davek0974 »

I cut 3mm on my PM45 and it's a devil to get good quality.

I run small holes and shapes at 60% speed, perpendicular lead-in and various end options - this is the tough bit. I am going to try a 2mm overburn but kill the torch 1mm before the end of normal cut, hopefully this will allow the arc to extinguish whiles its doing the overburn.

Watch the pierce height/delay is good too, I've had plenty trouble caused by dross blowing back up into the torch.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”