Cutting .25" aluminum

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
KKesner
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Cutting .25" aluminum

Post by KKesner »

Hello all this is my first time posting a question on here so I hope its correct. I was cutting .25 inch aluminum yesterday and it was my first time at cutting aluminum. I did a search for aluminum and read all that I found on the subject. I have a Torchmate 4x4 growth series, Hypertherm PM 65 and an air dryer. I was cutting 7075 T6 at book spec except for speed. There is very little edge bevel as well as dross but the cut edge is not smooth. Now all that I have read on here and other places said that the edge will not be as good as mild steel and my question is. Is this as good as I should expect or should it be better. Thanks for any help.

45 amps
.15 PH
.06 CH
50 IPM
142 Volts

Thanks
Ken
Attachments
Aluminum .25.jpg
"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American G. I. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom."
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Cutting .25" aluminum

Post by urbnsr »

Well, I can't say if it can get any better, but that looks just like what I get when I cut 1/4"-3/8" 6061. I do get dross buildup right where the table slats are, but it comes off easy.

HTH
Paul
KKesner
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by KKesner »

Thanks for your reply. I had dross as well at the slats and I guess that can be expected due to no place for it to go. I also forgot to mention that there were a lot of small chips that was all over the rails and gantry when I finished the cuts. Is this normal as well for aluminum?

Thanks,
Ken
"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American G. I. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom."
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Yup, when you cut aluminum you get sparkly dust all over the place (unless you have a really good downdraft system). Don't breathe those, not good for ya.

that's pretty good for aluminum, it is not nearly as smooth as steel.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

I don't recall the small chips, but it has been awhile since I cut any aluminum. I do use a water table and most all kerf material ends up in the bottom of the water tray. Do the chips come from blow-back when piercing?

Paul
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The cuts look normal to me. Edge porosity and roughness on aluminum are normal with an air plasma. You can experiment with cut speed (try higher and lower in small increments (+- 3 to 5 ipm) and you often will find a sweet spot where dross is minimal. Ensure that the physical cut height is correct.....the arc voltage should be adjusted so the physical height is at book specs...don't worry that the voltage does not match the book voltage suggestions.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
yeomansjon
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by yeomansjon »

Looks identical to what I got using my pmax 1000 on 6061 at book specs also. I used a dremel to polish up the insides and took no time at all and cleaned up nice!
Fast Jonny Custom Design
CNC Plasma Cutting
Plasmacam DHC
Hypertherm Powermax 1000
www.facebook.com/fastjonnycustomdesign
KKesner
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by KKesner »

Thanks for the replies and info guy. I have tried to get it better using some scraps from the job but I haven't been ably to get it any better and now that I have your input I will let it go for now. And the dremel worked great on the letter edges.

Thanks,
Ken

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”