Laser, Taper and Plasma

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
PineLane
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Laser, Taper and Plasma

Post by PineLane »

Finally something to compare too. Haven't been able to lay the hands on anything laser cut.

Local family business that builds tank trucks asked for a couple sheets of simple rings out of 10 ga HRS. Believe business is slow and they are looking for cheaper ways. Normally he would order hundreds from a large local with a nice, big laser table. but since I'm small and have one of those "plasma tables", he asked.

For samples, he had given me a laser cut ring and after cutting the same ring on my table...honestly, the cut "walls" were very comparable. The only difference being the slight taper and the small mark at the beginning and cut ending.

Guess there's no real point here, other than to say, that I'm impressed with the cut quality in comparison and don't believe we (as mainly plasma folks) have any reason to believe our much less expensive tables cannot produce a comparative product finish or at least be able to keep in the same "park".

PS - Good job Hypertherm
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Laser, Taper and Plasma

Post by michmetalman »

Unless it's something real small, plasma is very comparable I think. I get asked all the time if I use a laser cutter. Lots of people are surprised I can get such detail with plasma...especially my smaller products.
rikduk
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rikduk »

From my experience, laser is better when you make small holes.
Also, the cut quality on stainless steel is amazing.
For a lot of jobs around here, plasma is plenty enough (even though i get :shock: when i say plasma)
everyone knows laser and waterjet, few people really know plasma.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

I always have to remind people.....there are two separate worlds of cnc plasma cutting.

1. Air plasma on a low cost (under $30k) cnc machine. Low purchase price, a bit higher operating cost, fair productivity and quality.

2. Industrial oxygen based high definition class plasma. Higher purchase price (abouy4x higher than air plasma, about 1/4 price of a laser) , high productivity, high accuracy, lowest operating cost per foot of cut.

When comparing with $400k+ laser machines.....expect less of a comparison with air plasma....a good comparison with high definition plasma. Plasma is usually (by far) the lowest price process. Laser can be lower priced on thin materials (thinner than 3/16" (.187")), but usually the amortized purchase price and maintenance costs make it higher. Water jet is the slowest and most costly (by far) per foot, but with the right equipment is the most accurate, will cut anything, and has no heat affected zone.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”