Fine tip nozzle

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
KeeYaw
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Fine tip nozzle

Post by KeeYaw »

Would some of you mind listing examples of material you would use Fine Tip Nozzles for and briefly why? Just wanting some ideas on when to use them. Thx in advance!
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Fine tip nozzle

Post by abmagrum »

10 gauge steel and under,not sure on stainless and aluminum it is listed in the owners manual
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
cbassjr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cbassjr »

I use the fine tip on all cuts 10 gauge and under. Its just a much nicer and cleaner cut especially on more intricut art files. The only thing I've found is I bump up the voltage 1-2 degrees on the 10-14 gauge. Seems to give less dross.
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by HammerDownJustin »

x3 on the replies above
Home built 5x10 table CandCNC electronics
Miller 251 Mig
And lots of other cool stuff...
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Many of Hypertherms systems have available Finecut consumables. They are designed for cutting thinner materials at lower cut speeds as compared to the regular shielded consumables. Finecut will produce a narrower kerf and straighter edges when used at the proper cut height and speed on materials thinner than 10 gauge with most Hypertherm systems.

Here is a pic of 4 cut kerfs all cut on 1/8" steel. The first two on the left are cut with a Powermax85 with Finecut at 40 amps, then with shielded 65 amps. The next two are cut with a Powermax30XP, first with Finecut at 25 amps, then with shielded consumables at 30 amps. The difference in cut width is clear. These are all cut with a hand torch by hand, dragging the torch along a straight edge.

Jim Colt
Attachments
kerfwidth.jpg
Last edited by jimcolt on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Looks like I should have bought a PowerMAX35 instead of a PowerMAX85 if I will be doing metal art.

Is the PowerMAX35 a new unit, I can not find it in the line-up on Hypertherm's page . . . all I found was below:

Powermax30 XP Powermax45 Powermax65 Powermax85 Powermax105 Powermax125

Lot smaller & cleaner kerf.

Any way to get the kerf that small and clean with a Powermax85?

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Sorry for the Typo, it is a Powermax30XP (I edited it). The 30XP is not designed for mechanized cutting as the duty cycle is considered (by our engineering staff) as too low for machine cutting. It is a portable unit for hand cutting applications.

The narrow kerf was cut at 25 amps with a new nozzle design that only fits the 30XP torch. You can get close to that same kerf width by using the Finecut consumables in the Powermax85 at 30 to 35 amps on materials thinner than 10 gauge.

Jim Colt

CNCCAJUN wrote:Looks like I should have bought a PowerMAX35 instead of a PowerMAX85 if I will be doing metal art.

Is the PowerMAX35 a new unit, I can not find it in the line-up on Hypertherm's page . . . all I found was below:

Powermax30 XP Powermax45 Powermax65 Powermax85 Powermax105 Powermax125

Lot smaller & cleaner kerf.

Any way to get the kerf that small and clean with a Powermax85?

Steve
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Whew, scared me for a minute . . .

What is the chance that we will be seeing kerfs that clean/small or cleaner/smaller with even better Fine Cut Consumables for the PowerMAX 65, 85, 105 & the 125?

Steve in Louisiana with a Hypertherm PowerMAX85 headed my way via Dynatorch. . . :D
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

There are none in the works currently. As I said....I suspect you can get almost the same narrow kerf by simply reducing the amperage using the existing Fine Cut consumables with the larger Powermax systems. keep the cut height at .06", set the amperage to 25 or 30, experiment with finding the fastes cut speed and you will get almost the same width as the Powermax30XP in the pictures.

Jim Colt

CNCCAJUN wrote:Whew, scared me for a minute . . .

What is the chance that we will be seeing kerfs that clean/small or cleaner/smaller with even better Fine Cut Consumables for the PowerMAX 65, 85, 105 & the 125?

Steve in Louisiana with a Hypertherm PowerMAX85 headed my way via Dynatorch. . . :D
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Sounds good,

Thanks,
Steve :D
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by HammerDownJustin »

I need to do some experimenting..I was always under the influence that hypertherm settings were the best. Running 30 amps looks alot better than my slow speed cut settings. That one line looks like a laser did it.
Home built 5x10 table CandCNC electronics
Miller 251 Mig
And lots of other cool stuff...
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The settings in the manual are the best combination of cut edge angularity (square) and minimal dross. If you have different requirements (such as a narrower kerf) then reducing the power and cutting faster would be what you should try. The only things that need to be controlled are:

-Air pressure should stay at the book settings
-Amperage should not be exceeded for a particular nozzle

You can experiment with speed, height and lower amperage for any nozzle. Once you have cut quality that you like....write your parameters down so you can repeat it next time.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
HammerDownJustin wrote:I need to do some experimenting..I was always under the influence that hypertherm settings were the best. Running 30 amps looks alot better than my slow speed cut settings. That one line looks like a laser did it.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”