BladeRunner / Sheetcam Torch height 3/8?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Countryguy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

BladeRunner / Sheetcam Torch height 3/8?

Post by Countryguy »

Hi everyone. I've noticed that several users post both here and over at the candcnc yahoo group. Will give that a go here as well.
Just looking for some hints and direction? I am now drawing and cutting from draft sight to sheetcam to Mach 3 on a recent blade runner, dcp01, and PWM setup. All connected and seemingly fine so far.

I downloaded all the current drivers pack, and sheetcam tng pack from CandCNC and believe I have it all correct. Post processor was mp3000 and something. ( was the top most mp3000 listing).

Cutting circles and long straight lines was ok/marginal as is the basis for this thread.
I've Read the docs on the dthc tuning and setup what made sense. Still learning here. Hench the tips note.

Symptom: I needed to set speed to 13-15 via sheetcam to actually cut thru . Amps 30-35 for 10gage. Steel That seemed slow to me but again, really new here!. The torch seems high so I needed this slow of a setting just to cut the material.

The issue: When. I cut a circle or line both with or without dthc2 on the torch does seem to go , touch off and then raise to 3/8 an inch or higher? (hard to see.. maybe 1/4?) I have set everything to .0630 that I can find in the Mach 3 and sheetcam torch and material setups. Am I too high?

I guess I am unclear what is directing the gcode or setup torch height that I have missed. Saw some notes about sheetcam post processor gcode torchheight but cannot seem to find the right snippit? Is that part of this?

I have read and read... So turning to you folks for help please.
tx
Jeff.
Motor tuning and cal was setup per Ron's setup sheet. Did the 1" measurements etc.

Thanks and have a great Sunday.
Countryguy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: BladeRunner / Sheetcam Torch height 3/8?

Post by Countryguy »

OK, Found some really good material in the DTHC2 manual. Found sheetcam "switchoffset" value to try AND if the tip saver on, plus the DRO setup w/ real steel on the table. I'll need to get a video of the DRO doiing a longer cut so I can get some better numbers. trying to absorb ;-) . . Tx.
grindergary
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by grindergary »

In the set up manual for the equipment you are using, Tom has shown how to set the switch offset. I don't have my manual here or I would tell you what page it is on. It is important to set it as close as possible to have the proper cut height or you cut too high or low.

Good luck,

Gary
4x8 Home made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
4x8 Home Router made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
Candcnc DHCTII Electronics
Hypertherm Powermax 105 machine torch
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel Draw 8, V Carve Pro
Miller CTS 280 Miller Mig
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

You relly need to reread the manual.. I read it more then 15 timwes befor I got most of the inf it contained..

You need to set the switch offset in SC by using a pc of paper as a spacer, brin the tourch down till it hits the paper on a flat surface, zero the Z dro, then rais up till the paper can slide in and out with minimal force. Do this a handful of times till you get a number very close to the same twice.. that will be your switch offset you need to set in SC.
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
Countryguy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Countryguy »

Thanks everyone! Yes. The manuals are just absolutely wonderful. Tom and crew have an awesome product! You are so so right about 15+ times on the reading part! Thanks! I found numerous good YOUTUBE videos for several item. On my way!

we had SO MUCH FUN TODAY! We cut our first parts. From design to product! This is a blast! My son and I are proud of our setup! It works great for a 'learning as we go' project of this technical nature! My son is cooking w draftsight to sheetcam to mach3. Very proud of him!

Have a great week everyone! CG.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”