Trying to get new table worked out

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Trying to get new table worked out

Post by Metriccar »

ArcLight running Mach3 and Sheetcam. Hypertherm Powermax 65.

This is 16 gauge steel and the program/file for this part is setup for 16 ga. steel using 65 amp consumables, which is what I'm using. Program was setup for 250 ipm cut speed. I had to push it up to around 350-400 for a more reasonable cut. When I increase the speed I get better cuts on long Y axis movement cuts. However around corners and circles the cut quality is worse. What would cause this? Picture is the bottom of the part. Top looks a lot better. I also notice as I increase the speed too high not only does it not cut all the way through but I get waves for what are supposed to be straight lines, most notably along the X axis for some reason.

This is my first attempt at plasma cutting so this whole concept of pierce height, and the rest of the terms are foreign to me and figuring out what does what. I'd say if the part looked like the cuts made along the Y axis all the way around the part I'd have some pretty good results for a beginner but I can't do anything with what I'm producing right now. Cuts already look a lot better than what I started with (I had to increase the air pressure from 80 to 120).

Also this is 220v power, 3 phase. Can we ever expect to program cut settings for a Hypertherm 65 and expect it to perform the same from power source to power source? My power outlet is right next to the breaker switch control panel and is using some heavy gauge wire.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (74.52 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (74.52 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
Last edited by Metriccar on Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Trying to get new table worked out

Post by I Lean »

Lower amperage and slower speeds will make you happier. I generally use 45A consumables and run them around 30A on thin stuff like that. You also have the option of the Fine Cut consumables, and there are cut charts in existence for those that will keep your speeds around 150 IPM or less.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Jim Colt has often mentioned to us that for best quality use the smallest nozzles that will cut the thickness of metal. I'd be using Finecuts with metal that thin.

Although larger nozzles with lowered amps may cut it, Jim has also said that you lose the arc density if you don't run a nozzle at its rated amps.

I have ran Finecuts at 25 amps but the cut quality seemed to suffer.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
cnchybrid
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by cnchybrid »

Also you are most likely traveling way too fast for you what you machine is capable of doing.
It's like your going 100 miles per hour and performing an immediate right turn without slowing down. This is where your machine will fail.
You need to see if your setup will allow you to modify your corner speed so it looks ahead a given number of lines in the code and ramps down to make the turn.
I always cut my circles at least 25% less than my part cutout.
Circles and corners are where you can tell how well your machine is setup.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”