440c Stainless

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
icmplasma85
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

440c Stainless

Post by icmplasma85 »

Anyone out there have any experience plasma cutting 440c stainless steel?? I have a guy that wants a quote on quite a bit, I've researched it and it's used alot for making knives and such, just want to know before I spend the $$ for material that it doesn't need to be cut on waterjet. Just not sure about the heat changing properties of the metal. I don't cut much stainless so I'm new to the idea.
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Millermatic 211 MIG Welder
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: 440c Stainless

Post by weldor2005 »

This is a shot in the dark, but I'm thinking you are talking about cutting blanks. And if so, then he would be grinding down through any part of the metal that may be affected by any heat treating. maybe the spine of the blade might retain some of the metalurgical difference, but the edge should be ground and sanded out at that point.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 440c Stainless

Post by plain ol Bill »

Cuts like any other stainless. There is going to be a very thin hardened edge after you cut that can be ground or sanded off. I've use it quite a bit in knife work down through the years.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”