Idea for forum

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Idea for forum

Post by adbuch »

cutnweld wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2024 7:02 pm Im with Brayd, same boat here, like I couldnt care less if you all had access to my thousands of files, but 99 percent are one off jobs, brackets, repair parts, things that would be absolutely useless to anyone again. Takes so little time to draw something you just do it and forget about it. I pretty much quit artsy stuff because it takes to much time and isn't worth the fiddling around, at least for me. But I if we would make an industrial forum I could post some industrial things, like excavator bucket mounts, 359 peterbilt hood panel, Etc. But it seems like a waste of time to post things like that on on artsy site.
My feeling is that this site has a good amount of both mechanical and "artsy" files and discussions. Also - there are many members with quite a diverse set of interests, drawing abilities, and so on. I expect that if you posted your files of your excavator bucket mounts, hood panels, etc. there may very well be some that could use them.

David
BrayD
1 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BrayD »

adbuch wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2024 3:02 am BrayD - I am not familiar with the BendTech software. Perhaps you could show some screen shots of your process of "throwing pick points into BendTech so we can see exactly how it works.

Thanks,
David
My pleasure!

Keep in mind BendTech was initially created as a tube bending software, but it now has sheet metal add-ons that make it excellent for plate work. This is all in their sheet metal module.

It's all pick point based. Place points where you want and connect them with lines, use them as hole center points, etc. I'll use the long tabs I showed earlier as a quick example.

Since I have the project in front of me, I'd throw a tape measure on it and see that it needs to be 12" long, 2" tall, with two holes 1" from the lower edge, 8" on center.

Over at the laptop, I'd enter a point at X 12, Y 2.
BT1.png
Select 'rectangle' and click the two points (the origin and the single point I just made)
BT2.png
Back into the points tab and place your hole center points. (all points could've been done initially, this just works well for demonstration purposes)
BT3.png
Select the hole feature, input your size, and click your two center points.
BT4.png
Add a couple fillets. Enter your fillet size and click the lines that create the corner you want to fillet.
BT5.png
A couple clicks to jump to a tab and define the plate (flange)
BT6.png
Then a couple more clicks to export that plate as a DXF.
BT7.png
Done! Open that DXF in your CAM package of choice, create a cut path, and send the G code to your machine. That whole process is quite literally 5 minutes once you know what you're doing.

For the pad eye the OP used as an example, I'd likely use a pre-loaded tab shape from the module I linked previously. Enter your dims and it spits out a plate model that you can export.

If the slotted hole was an absolute necessity, I'd model it like shown above. I did a quick one while typing this reply. Poor representation, but it was quick to model. Easy to make accurately if you have the dimensions.
BT8.png

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

TM2 Torchmate 5x10
Red Display AVHC
ZEKS Refrigerated Dryer
Motor Guard Filter
Miller Spectrum 2050
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

BrayD - thanks for posting that example. That looks like a very handy program. I was checking out their site and it looks like I would have to purchase their tube bending software and then purchase the sheet metal module as an add-on. So around $375 for both (Trick Tools site).

I do have a couple of questions. Please see my attached screen shots.

Thanks,
David
bendtech plate question 1.jpg
bendtech plate question 2.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

bendtech plate question 3.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

BrayD wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2024 11:41 pm Easy to make accurately if you have the dimensions.
I very much agree!

David
BrayD

Post by BrayD »

adbuch wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2024 3:15 am BrayD - thanks for posting that example. That looks like a very handy program. I was checking out their site and it looks like I would have to purchase their tube bending software and then purchase the sheet metal module as an add-on. So around $375 for both (Trick Tools site).

I do have a couple of questions. Please see my attached screen shots.

Thanks,
David

bendtech plate question 1.jpg
bendtech plate question 2.jpg
That pricing seems about right. It's a lifetime license and updates regularly. Well worth it if you're doing this stuff to make money. I know this is a plasma site so we're talking about plate, but it really shines as a tube bending software. Now that I use it for plasma as well, it's one of the most valuable assets I have for metalwork in the shop.

Q1: It's all cartesian manual entry. I placed the first point at X 2 Y 1, then placed the second point at X 8 Y 0 (incrementally from the first point).

Q2: The link I provided in an earlier post will take you through that module. These links give a good breakdown of the tabs available:

https://bend-tech.net/wiki7/index.php?t ... P_Template

https://bend-tech.net/wiki7/index.php?t ... mplates_II
Last edited by BrayD on Fri Oct 25, 2024 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
TM2 Torchmate 5x10
Red Display AVHC
ZEKS Refrigerated Dryer
Motor Guard Filter
Miller Spectrum 2050
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

BrayD - thanks for the answers to my questions and for the additional links. Design Edge works the same way for placing points by entering the coordinates, or relative coordinate offset from the first point.

David
cutnweld
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cutnweld »

Looks to me like any program you choose to use, you can get good with it. I can run turbo cad in a very similar fashion, pretty much all programs are easy one you get onto them. Matter of fact you could do the flat pattern example given and nest it in Plasmac conversational, just depends on preference IMO. Now when it comes to bending... that would be a can of worms without some designated bend software like bendtech
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
Lincoln squarewave tig 255
12 Ft Durma Brake
BrayD

Post by BrayD »

Many ways to skin a cat indeed.
TM2 Torchmate 5x10
Red Display AVHC
ZEKS Refrigerated Dryer
Motor Guard Filter
Miller Spectrum 2050
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I'm with cutnweld we seem to find a package we like and use it well, prices can be a draw back for some. It helps if you are running a business having a write off for the cost. DIY guy like me I look for software the is cheaper and does what I need, there are some out there. Some like SheetCam it is well worth paying the price, great they don't have a subscription cost. They also offer optional package upgrades too. Other do have updates that have reasonable prices other it's like a replacement full price. Some that cross the category of functions and can be used for other areas of interest. Lightburn is one I just started using that is very good for composing drawings at a fair price ($60 and update for $30).
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”