Worse machine I ever owned

Star-Lab plasma table discussion forum
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Worse machine I ever owned

Post by adbuch »

Fastyankee wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2024 10:04 pm I haven't responded to this because I'm currently working through fine tuning my air system. But here's what I found and sent pics to Matt.
As far as the scribe I think my issue is water contamination. see pictures. I also found oil in the first filter in my 4 filter set up. I have an oil filter and three descant filters in series. I did not find oil past the oil filter so its doing its job. I am in the process of add a motor guard filter before my 4 filter set up. I also added a water separator/ filter to the scribe an air gauge right before both the scribe and plasma. I should have more to report after this weekend. see pictures of my findings on the scribe.
Water in your air lines might explain why your engraver (air scribe) is hanging up. You are probably getting some corrosion inside your air cylinder. If this same air supply is feeding your plasma cutter - you may experience problems there as well. Also - if you have too many filters in series - this may cause an air flow restriction (pressure drop) when air is actually flowing thru the lines. Your static pressure would read fine at your cutter, but when air is flowing thru the torch that may be a different story.

You might consider replacing all of those separate filters with a refrigerated dryer. Then maybe just the oil filter right after the compressor and before the refrigerated dryer - assuming that your compressor is worn and you are getting lots of oil contamination into your air lines.

I have had the same Speedaire compressor for over 30 years now and have no problems with oil contamination. The compressor is in my main shop, and there is a run of probably 100 feet or so of 3/4" rigid copper air line between the main shop and machine shop. My refrigerated dryer is out in the machine shop very close to my plasma table. To this point I have had no issues with any moisture contamination in the air line running to my plasma table.

David

Return to “Star-Lab CNC Forum”