European Source for gear-transmission?

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: European Source for gear-transmission?

Post by Retro »

I'm thinking about tapping a screw on the edge and just cram the screw into the gear. Do you know what i mean? Just a screw direct to the shaft and tighten it slightly.
weldguy
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Retro wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 10:07 am I'm thinking about tapping a screw on the edge and just cram the screw into the gear. Do you know what i mean? Just a screw direct to the shaft and tighten it slightly.
Not sure what you mean or what problem you are trying to solve. Is your pinion gear slipping on the motor shaft?
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

No, i meant on the X Axis. Not using leverage and no spring. just a screw that presses the shaft/gear onto the Rack.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

I see, could end up with the same problem of tight spots or loose spots along the travel distance of that axis. Could get away with it on the Z (up/down) but thats about it.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Or is it possible to add pressure by a spring? Bigger hole than a thread, strong spring and giving pressure with a screw?
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

I could see that working, biggest thing is the motor must be capable of moving towards and way from the rack to account for variations in either direction. Not too stiff of a spring, don't want to side load the shafts any more than you have to. More side loading will reduce your motors torque output and if you are using steppers this certainly cause problems as speeds increase.

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”