Does cut quality change between single and 3 phase

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Does cut quality change between single and 3 phase

Post by Metriccar »

I have my plasma cutter in a shop with 3 phase. I was wanting to get my garage wired which would be single phase. Would cut quality suffer?
see&see
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Does cut quality change between single and 3 phase

Post by see&see »

I had the exact same plasma cutter at work for 10 years or so that I had at home. They were both Lincoln ProCut 80's, like Hypertherm they will accept both types of wiring after you arrange input terminals internally according to the the manual. At work I used 230 volt 3 phase and at home I used single phase 240 volt. There was absolutely no difference. But I did have a full 200 amp service in the shop at home which is important with a plasma table. Reason being that the air compressor usually runs at the same time as the plasma cutter and they are both amp eaters.

I doubt you will see any difference if the single phase machine is properly wired to book specs.
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Does cut quality change between single and 3 phase

Post by _Ogre »

there should be no difference in cut quality, there may be a difference in duty cycle
check your plasma manual

the biggest advantage of 3 phase power is lower installation cost; smaller wire, starters, connectors, service and conduit
power usage will be the same kva = kva, it all depends on voltage and the number of leads going in

from engineeringtoolbox.com
As a "rules of thumb" amps horsepower rating can be estimated as

115 Volts motor - single-phase : 14 amps/hp
230 Volts motor - single-phase : 7 amps/hp
230 Volts motor - 3-phase : 2.5 amps/hp
460 Volts motor - 3-phase : 1.25 amps/hp
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”