Angled cut

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
kdahep
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Angled cut

Post by kdahep »

I have the PlasmaCam DHC with the hypertherm Powermax 45.
When I'm cutting 3/16 or thicker the cut comes out at a angle say 35 degrees not the same each time.
The torch head is square, and when I check the nozzle you can see it is out of round and maybe egg shaped.
Put on a new nozzle and cuts good for a couple of minutes then back to where it was before changing the nozzle.
What causes this and how do I remedy this?
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Angled cut

Post by SeanP »

Is your cut height exactly right?
I checked mine the other day and for some reason I was out by .6mm - to low!
Cut a good bit of 8mm today and it seemed better all round, easier on consumables & no tag left on finishing cut.
I had an hours cutting today on used electrode/nozzle and it was still good. (still no air drying just oil and water separator on mine)

I'm cutting at 900mm/min there or 35''/min
8mm.JPG
8mm wheels.JPG
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

How do you get those stuck to the ceiling like that? Oh wait, are you down under? That may explain it.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

If the nozzle orifice is out of round, nicked, cratered, etc., then expect wildly varying angles around any part you cut. The nozzle orifice shapes the arc.....and to cut properly the arc must be perfectly round and columnar.

How does the nozzle get damaged? Piercing too close to the material and piercing without enough pierce delay time are the most common causes. One pierce too close on materials thicker than 1/8" will damage a nozzle on any plasma torch.

Recommendation? Follow the cut specs for machine cutting in your Hypertherm operators manual. The pierce height, cut height, pierce delay time cut speed, amperage, etc. are all clearly outlined for most materials and thicknesses.

Nozzles and electrodes do wear out, (they are called consumables!). If you are not damaging them by piercing incorrectly...are you just using them too long?

Jim Colt Hypertherm

kdahep wrote:I have the PlasmaCam DHC with the hypertherm Powermax 45.
When I'm cutting 3/16 or thicker the cut comes out at a angle say 35 degrees not the same each time.
The torch head is square, and when I check the nozzle you can see it is out of round and maybe egg shaped.
Put on a new nozzle and cuts good for a couple of minutes then back to where it was before changing the nozzle.
What causes this and how do I remedy this?
tradingpost
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by tradingpost »

howdy jim colt--------bad need of a couple things --could you email me -----thanks ron ------sculpron@gmail.com
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

You may want to use this method to contact a member so you don't put your email out on broadcast
contact.jpg
contact.jpg (24.35 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
contact.jpg
contact.jpg (24.35 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”