HT PM 85 LOW AIR PRESSURE WITH MACHINE TORCH

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
radnurse68
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

HT PM 85 LOW AIR PRESSURE WITH MACHINE TORCH

Post by radnurse68 »

I started noticing a different sound while cutting on the table with my HT PM 85 machine torch, as if it was not getting enough air but I kinda "blew" it off because it seemed to still have decent cut quality. I was using 45 amp fine cut consumables on 14g cold rolled. Last night I put some 1/4 in hot rolled on and immediately noticed it had the same sound but wasn't cutting all the way through and was getting a lot of dross on top. After troubleshooting it with Scott from Arclight Dynamics this evening it appears I'm getting proper air pressure to the machine but the machine is changing the pressure to the torch therefore causing decreased cut voltage and bad cuts. Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did you fix it? My torch is less than a year old with low mileage. I know it is under warranty but I can't really go without it for too long. I've got some fairly big projects going on. Thanks for any input. By the way it seems to work fine with the hand torch.

Steve
Stephen W. Sparks RN,CRN
Creating Sparks Metal Worx
Arclight Dynamics Arc Pro 12000 5X10
Linux, Sheetcam, Inkscape, Solid Edge
Hypertherm 85
MIllermatic 175
AHP Alphatig 200X
Kool Koat 3.0 DPW

"Ridin around having a big time!"
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: HT PM 85 LOW AIR PRESSURE WITH MACHINE TORCH

Post by jimcolt »

As always.....it is best to contact technical service at Hypertherm. They will lead you through troubleshooting using the digital readout on your Powermax85.....which can verify exact output pressure. If you are in auto air pressure mode the cut pressure is set by a digital/electronic pressure regulator based on the torch lead length as well as the mode selector switch.

You can put the system into "manual" mode and set the cut pressure manually.....which tech service can help you with as well. The contact number is in your operators manual and also is on the http://www.hypertherm.com website. The techs are very knowledgable and are more than willing to help you out.

Top dross usually indicates that the torch to work distance is too high, which will also cause the arc to not fully penetrate. It could also indicate worn consumables (including swirl ring and retaining cap) as well as an air pressure issue. Consumables are always the first things to check and replace.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”