Weird problem, machine torch won't fire, hand torch will!?

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
conz35
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Weird problem, machine torch won't fire, hand torch will!?

Post by conz35 »

Okay guys, were almost done with the new table for our mobile setup. First off let me tell you what were working with… We have 2 Precision Plasma tables. both have MACH 3 with the bladerunner aio and a esp II box with DTHC II one is a 4x8(main shop) the new one is a 4x4(mobile trailer) Both tables are twins. The only part that swaps back and forth currently is the Hypertherm 45; just the main box, and the computer. Both tables have there own machine torch and handheld torches.

Now here is whats going on with the new 4x4 table...
Everything runs like its supposed to as far as g code, z-axis, floating head torch switch, etc.
The weird part is If you manually click the torch on button in mach 3 nothing happens, no clicking relay noise, no error codes or estops, NO flashing lights on the hypertherm, just silence and the torch doesn't fire. If you run a file same thing, it will run through all the motions just won't cut or fire off.
Ive ran the mach 3 tests for torch volts DRO and both passed at 100 and 150, Ive ran The THC PWM ark ok test and it worked, the only test that came back with somewhat off results was the THC PWM volts test, on screen shot should read 126 or 127 volts and ours read 122.

Now, if you put the hand torch on and pull the trigger it fires off perfectly.

Ive spent the better part of the day reading and rereading all the mach 3 manuals. Ive googled a bunch, Ive searched cnczone, candcnc forum, and now plasma spider with no luck. Any thoughts on what to test yet? I feel like I'm missing something simple and just need to take a step back… Any ideas??
Thanks as always guys,
Mike
image2.JPG
image2.JPG (41.04 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
image2.JPG
image2.JPG (41.04 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
image3.JPG
image3.JPG (32.5 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
image3.JPG
image3.JPG (32.5 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (35.72 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (35.72 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Weird problem, machine torch won't fire, hand torch will!?

Post by WyoGreen »

As I read your thread, you're using the same computer and the same plasma cutter on both systems. So really the only difference is in the CandCNC components. You could try swapping one at a time those components and seeing which one is causing the problem. We know the computer and plasma cutter work with the shop table, so the problem has to be either the cabling or the controller, since the relay in the controller is not clicking.

Another thought is the controller is not seeing the plasma cutter so perhaps it's a CPC cable thing.

All I got for now, Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

here is my 2 cents
if you go to the diagnostic page and type in M3 in the "direct G-code Input" then enter the output 1 box should blink red and M5 will stop it. If this is not happening it is a program problem. But most likely it will blink and then it is a wiring problem. I would look at the connector going to the back of the hypertherm if you find out which 2 pins are to fire the torch and put an ohmmeter to the plug (cable end) you should see a short (0 ohms) between the 2 pins when the M3 is inputted in mach 3 and go away when M5 is inputted.
mach 3 torch.jpg
mach 3 torch A.jpg
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
conz35
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by conz35 »

Thanks for the advice guys, m3 and m5 worked like it was supposed to on the diagnostic page, so its not a programming problem. When I checked the torch fire pins off the back of the hypertherm(cable coming from the Pmw box I couldn't get it to change from 1ohm.
Basically, what I'm gathering is that for some odd reason the signal is not leaving the main candcnc espII box, thus the torch won't fire.

So we decided to just swap our original ESPII box and the PWM box from the shop table and make sure that it was 100% something with the new candcnc box. This did the trick and everything ran perfect, perfect cuts, thc worked, everything.

Now i just gotta go back and figure out whats going on with this new ESPII box and or PWM box. ?
Any other tests I could run?

thanks again for all the help,
mike
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”