cutting hot rolled plate

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

cutting hot rolled plate

Post by _Ogre »

i have a 4x8 sheet of 1/2'' hr that i'm cutting into 7''x7'' base plates
how close can i cut from the last plate? would 3/8'' be fine?
if i use 3/8'' i can get 13 rows; if i go with 1/2'' i get 12 rows
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: cutting hot rolled plate

Post by Gamelord »

It kind of depends on your torch and how wide the kerf is. You should have plenty of room at 3/8 (distance between parts). I can usually get down to 1/16" if i really push it and have to squeeze....I usually leave a minimum of 1/8" between cuts just to make sure the burn-through doesn't effect the next part of the bevel.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

I have found you need to watch where your last cut edge finishes, if it's on the same side as a previous cut it can move with distortion being to close, so try to keep the last cut on a side that's tied into the sheet. (suppose that's the same for any thickness when trying to get close up)
If you watch that, 1/8'' between cuts works for me.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

thanks for the feedback
i'll leave it at 3/8''
less won't get me more parts
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

first time for everything... :mrgreen:

first time we've loaded full sheets on the table and cut the full sheet
2- 3/8 plates and 1- 1/2 plate of 7x7 base plates without a hitch and dang near perfect cut quality

3/8 plates had slots,

1/2 plates had holes

the 3/8 gap is way too much, i'll knock it down to 3/16 next time, though it won't get me more parts
dross came off with a putty knife, pretty simple to scrape off and then run a grinder around to ease the edge
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

SeanP wrote:I have found you need to watch where your last cut edge finishes, if it's on the same side as a previous cut it can move with distortion being to close, so try to keep the last cut on a side that's tied into the sheet. (suppose that's the same for any thickness when trying to get close up)
If you watch that, 1/8'' between cuts works for me.
i may try 1/8'' next time too
not worth it to redraw for this design, though it would give me more dunage to use for my own projects :mrgreen:

yes, i rarely use the sheetcam tool path
i always re-path to leave the last cut edge attached and avoid tip ups or slag piles

i drew up three 48'' wide columns and put in a stop at the next start point so i could check cut quality every half hour
re-zero x axis and hit go, it was pretty painless :mrgreen:
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

If it was just squares you could have just cut strips. Because you had inside features a small skeleton or no skeleton and cut one at a time is the best method to avoid thermal dynamic growth issues.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”