Fixed random gouging - fine cut consumables

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
vatso
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Fixed random gouging - fine cut consumables

Post by vatso »

Hi all,

Just a quick little learning I did yesterday which I wanted to share maybe it will help some one.

I have a home built plasma table with a Powermax 65 using fine cut - it has been running great the last few months and a week ago I was getting some strange results with some cuts where there would be random gouging which was getting progressively worse. I replaced the consumables with very little improvement. I run a water trap on my line near the compressor and all seemed fine the pressure was correct there was "enough" air.

I remember reading a post where my colt said he ran the line directly from the compressor so I tried that and that was it all fixed now and the results are like they used to be. it seems the water trap in line I had is restricting the air flow.

What I learnt is if there are any cut quality issues try run the air from the compressor directly and see if that helps, as that could save you a few hours of frustration.

I really do like the forum

Mark
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Fixed random gouging - fine cut consumables

Post by acourtjester »

Jim also said to put a pressure gauge on the rear of the plasma unit so you could see the pressure there.
If there is a restriction before that the pressure will drop when the unit is cutting because of the reduced flow of air.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Generally if changes in flow occur (from a restricted filtering device) the issues will first show up when using Finecut consumables. These consumables are very much more sensitive to incorrect air flow and incorrect torch height .....as compared to the shielded consumables.

The pressure gauge is cheap insurance that helps troubleshoot many plasma cutting problems. If you install a gauge on the inlet (of a filter) and another on the outlet....this is a good way to see the restriction. With no flow the gauges will read the same, when air flows the inlet gauge will always read higher than the outlet gauge.....as the filter clogs or becomes moisture saturated, the pressure differential between the two gauges will increase.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
powermaxpressuregauge 002.JPG
powermaxpressuregauge 001.JPG
99guy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by 99guy »

I like these, if you use tubing for the last link to your power supply they are slick.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Sho ... ors/PGU516
m_pgu516.jpg
m_pgu516.jpg (13.73 KiB) Viewed 929 times
m_pgu516.jpg
m_pgu516.jpg (13.73 KiB) Viewed 929 times
TruCutCNC Series1 Gen2 4x8 water
TruTrac THC
Powermax 85 . M85 Torch
TD A120 . SL100SV1
Mach 3 . SheetCam . CorelX6

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”