A different way to service your desiccant!

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
RevvedAC
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

A different way to service your desiccant!

Post by RevvedAC »

I know this won't be helpful to everyone but for the professional shop guys that have Automotive A/C equipment on hand I had an "AHA!" moment today. I added a desiccant drier to my Hypertherm 45 setup about 3 weeks ago on the recommendation of my table manufacturer. We've had a lot of humidity and rain over the last three weeks and I have been watching that little indicator window quickly moving over to replace. Having worked on A/C systems for years it dawned on me that why should I spend $45 on a new desiccant filter every month when I can evac the housing and boil out the moisture the same way we do when servicing the A/C system on a car.

So tonight I cannibalized an old A/C line and added an airline quick disconnect to the other end so I could connect my evacuation pump to the filter housing. After about an hour the filter window was right back to bright blue brand new! I let it run for about another hour while I worked around the shop. Ready to go!!
Attachments
IMAG1372.jpg
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: A different way to service your desiccant!

Post by tnbndr »

Great idea!!
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by srp »

you can also cook it in the oven.
RevvedAC
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by RevvedAC »

Mine uses a desiccant cartridge that I believe was in a plastic housing. I've read about other styles that have loose desiccant that you can dry out by baking in the oven. I have a buddy that does commercial refrigeration and he always gave me grief on the automotive side since it is a standard procedure to replace the Accumulator or Receiver/Drier whenver servicing for a leak because it contains the desiccant. Apparently in the commercial refrigeration world they use the oven trick to dry them out.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

I used to do A/C & refrigeration too, and have thought about using vacuum for drying. I'm sure I heard somewhere that it won't work with silica gel crystals. I have no idea if that is true or not. Someone reckoned they had to be baked at a higher temperature to get the moisture out of them.

If you ever do that type of dessicant let us know.

Keith
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”