Try slowing down

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Try slowing down

Post by beefy »

Just had a little experience a couple of days ago. After me and my plasma table not even seeing each other for a few months, I had to make a custom gantry crane to fix my excavator (again), so needed some 12mm parts cut.

I've always had a lot of problem with lean in the cuts (as though the torch is mounted NOT perpendicular to the plate). Anyway I had a narrow piece of steel which wouln't bridge across the slats, so I stuck some 3mm plate underneath to act as a support. That caused the torch to not cut all the way through so I slowed the feedrate down and raised the torch volts by 2 to compensate.

I got the best cut I've ever had and the lean issue had just about gone. The lag lines also looked more like the quality cuts I've seen others post. Maybe for some reason my table is running faster that what it says it is ??

So just thought I'd pass that on, I slowed down and got better quality cuts. I'll certainly be experimenting in the future with different combinations of nozzle and steel thickness.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Try slowing down

Post by weldor2005 »

You could always measure it. Do a dry run or cut a line however long you want, just keep air move time out of it since that normally is a different speed. Then time it manually and see what it really is. Simply inches (mm) of cut divided by Minutes (probably will have to convert seconds to minutes. Xsec/60) Good Luck, Try it for different thicknesses, and if it is off you may find it to be off by different amounts at different speeds, like a speedometer on a car when you put different size tires on it.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Try slowing down

Post by beefy »

Cheers David, might just do that.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”