How does this look?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
jbc28
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

How does this look?

Post by jbc28 »

I made some progress today with cutting fine detail. I'm new to cnc plasma, so I just expected to be able to cut anything just off of book specs. I quickly found out that you had to slow down with thin metal and and small detail. After several emails with Dan at LDR and some help from Jim Colt I finally made a cut which I think is pretty good for plasma.

This is 14 gauge cut at 95 ipm at 40 amps with finecut consumables. The square is 3" x 3".

I have a little bit of dross on the back, but nothing major. I thought about applying some path rules to slow down the tight curves a bit. I do see some wiggle there. Being new to plasma I don't know how much accuracy that I should expect. How does this look? Any room for improvement?
LDR 5x10
Hypertherm 85
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: How does this look?

Post by Gamelord »

I think it is looking pretty good! Very nice. It does look like there is a tiny bit of wiggle that you should be able to get out. I would double check everything and make sure it is tight and there is zero play between your torch/gantry/table/slats. The inside cut looks very clean.

I like it. :) It only gets better from here.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
jbc28
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jbc28 »

Thanks for the feedback. I do believe everything is tight, but I haven't checked the slats. How do you tighten them up?
LDR 5x10
Hypertherm 85
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Usually, putting a curve in the slats will keep them tight. My table has straight slats and I get slat wobble when cutting at high speeds. To stop it, I lay large drops across the areas that aren't getting cut and sometimes have to clamp them down to each other. I am too cheap to purchase new slats, especially when I have a few more months worth of cutting before they start to get ugly. Once I do replace them, they will be cut a little long so I can bend them and drop them into place, putting a bind on them and that should eliminate the slat-wobble.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
jbc28
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jbc28 »

Thanks for the info. My table is fairly new with curved slats. I had a half cut out 5' x 10' sheet on the table. I'll check for movement next time that I cut.
LDR 5x10
Hypertherm 85
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

A good way to check for movement is to sit a glass half filled with water on the sheet and see if the water ripples.
Murray

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”