Squaring up hand torch in PlasmaCam

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Binderman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Squaring up hand torch in PlasmaCam

Post by Binderman »

How might a person go about this? The torch mount in the machine is just a pair of jaws basically that you clamp the hand torch in.

Would you use the bevels on cuts of an +across a piece of plate to determine which way to move the torch or am I over thinking the whole thing? This method would be hit and miss I would think.

I would love for our PlasmaCam to have a machine torch but we are blessed to have the basic machine we are using.

Help, I cant see the forest for the trees.

Thanks for ANY pointers yall might provide!!
Francisco
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Squaring up hand torch in PlasmaCam

Post by Francisco »

Try this: remove the consumables from the torch and reinstall just the retaining tube. Set a piece of material on the table slats and, with the torch holder slightly loose, as to allow the torch's position to be adjusted, bring the z-slide down until the retaining tube sits flat on the material. Tighten the torch clamps gradually, checking squareness as you progress:
Attachments
Sketch.JPG
Sloppy illustration of the idea. Torch holder not shown, sorry.
Sketch.JPG (32.57 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
Sketch.JPG (32.57 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

That will work!
Plasma:
PlasmaCam 4x4, Samson 510 table, Go Torch, + more
AD-AH-AM-AN-3D-CS-MU-PC - Upgrades

Lasers:
X-TOOL D1 PRO (x 4) F1, S1 (x3), P2 (x2), F1 ULTRA (x2) with conveyors, M1 ULTRA (x2) + accs.
LaserPecker 1 PRO, LP-2, LP-4 + accs
50 Watt GALVO fiber
TYVOK Spider S1 60W Diode Laser 49" x 96"

3D Printers:
CreatBot D600 PRO
Stratasys Fortus 400mc
BIGREP Studio Gen 2
MODIX Big Meter

Why pay off debt when you can die owning MILLIONS? :lol:

FREE DesignEdge Training Online Via ZOOM!
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

While the hand torches can be used successfully with any cnc machine....it is difficult and time consuming to unclamp the torch for necessary consumable inspection, consumable changes and torch cleaning and maintenance. Further, with the torch solidly clamped....there is a higher probability that a collision at high speed between the torch and a tipped up part can cause torch or machine damage.

The machine torches and magnetic breakaway mounts certainly cost more to buy, over time (time savings, damage savings, easier to keep the torch perpendicular= better cut quality), they will be less costly to use in the long run.

Case in point.....I have never seen a hand torch on any industrial grade cnc plasma cutting machine.

Picture of mine....

Jim Colt
new pics 013.jpg
Binderman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Binderman »

Francisco wrote:Try this: remove the consumables from the torch and reinstall just the retaining tube. Set a piece of material on the table slats and, with the torch holder slightly loose, as to allow the torch's position to be adjusted, bring the z-slide down until the retaining tube sits flat on the material. Tighten the torch clamps gradually, checking squareness as you progress:
Amazing idea. I knew there had to be a work around.

A person with some machine tools and operating skills that could lay out an adapter that would screw on the hand torch with a wider weighted base might make some decent coins selling such. :idea: 8-)

Many thanks to everyone for the input!!!!
Binderman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Binderman »

jimcolt wrote:While the hand torches can be used successfully with any cnc machine....it is difficult and time consuming to unclamp the torch for necessary consumable inspection, consumable changes and torch cleaning and maintenance. Further, with the torch solidly clamped....there is a higher probability that a collision at high speed between the torch and a tipped up part can cause torch or machine damage.

The machine torches and magnetic breakaway mounts certainly cost more to buy, over time (time savings, damage savings, easier to keep the torch perpendicular= better cut quality), they will be less costly to use in the long run.

Case in point.....I have never seen a hand torch on any industrial grade cnc plasma cutting machine.

Picture of mine....

With High School kids using this machine regularly I feel a machine torch will happen in the near future. Heck they could make a few items and sell them at the County Fair and pay for the upgrade.

Thanks Mr. Colt!!!

Jim Colt
new pics 013.jpg
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

Mick has lowered the price on his Snap n Cut considerably. I saw his post on Plasmapig.

Allen

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”