I can'[t Get This To Cut

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Biker
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

I can'[t Get This To Cut

Post by Biker »

I can not get this to cut. It seams every time I try to cut something art related It fails. At every end of a cut the torch goes to the plate. I don't know why. What am I doing wrong. My machine is in my signature below. Using 45 amp tip and cutting by the book. I can never cut anything out like this. This is supposed to be a trophy for out local tractor pull. Please look at this and tell me what to do.
Attachments
checkered_flag_lawnmower.dxf
(272.47 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
checkered_flag_lawnmower.dxf
(272.47 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
CandCNC Blade Runner Dragon cut 620 Ethercut + DTHCIV
Precision Plasma 5 X 10
Mach 3
Sheetcam
Hypertherm Powermax 85
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: I can'[t Get This To Cut

Post by plain ol Bill »

Biker to help you we need some more information about your equipment - software, machine, torch, table operating system etc. I opened the file and don't see why it would not cut well on my equipment.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
Biker
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Biker »

Plan Ol Bill.

I'm cutting 11Ga hot roll just common new steel plate. I'm using Mach3 sheet-cam blade-runner 620 with the eighter cut DHIV from Candcnc. All the bells and goodies you would ask for just like you guys are useing. I built the Precision Plasma ganity 5 X 10 table. I have the Powermax 85 plasma and is set on 45 for the 45 amp tip. I have the tool set in sheetcam set to the book specks. Ground lead it attached to the plate I'm cutting. Have an earth ground to the table as well. Please ask me for more of the right information you need from me. I can never cut parts out like this. When cutting the lines in the grill when it gets to the end of the cut it stops and goes to the plate. I have to break away the torch and reset mach3 to get the torch to come back up. It moves over to the next line the same thing again. And so does all the inside offsets as well. The only time it cut right is cutting to outside of this drawing. Everything I ever try to cut I have the same drama. I wished I had never got into this machine. Now I can cut the machine type parts fine. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here. I see you guys cut parts smaller than a pennies. Not me . I wish someone here would cut this and post a picture of how it looks and what you did to get it to cut.

I sure hope Tom from Candcnc see this and can help me with this problem.
Precision Plasma 5 X 10
Mach 3
Sheetcam
Hypertherm Powermax 85
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

HI Biker
Are you using path rules I had the same problem when I first set up the DTHC-IV when at the end of a cut I crossed the kerf. I was told to use path rules to turn off the THC just before the end of the cut operation. This thing reacts so fast it would see the kerf as no metal to cut and dive into the metal.
here is the path rule I used.
Attachments
path rules B.jpg
path rules B.jpg (15.03 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
path rules B.jpg
path rules B.jpg (15.03 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Biker
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Biker »

Acourtjester.

Not useing any path rules. Don't know how to use them. Please tell me how to go about this path rule. What you are saying is what mine is doing.

Thanks Man
Precision Plasma 5 X 10
Mach 3
Sheetcam
Hypertherm Powermax 85
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

here are steps you need to build rules the order is reversed bottom image first
click on icon in tool menu and path rules menu opens. click on rule set to enter the name of what you want to call the group of rules in this set. after naming it then click on add rules and a small menu opens (top image) and click on the rule v this opens the operation that you want to create a rule (on open. corners,circles, and other) then pick the way you want it to work. Some rule operations are different but the before and end code are for turning the THC on/off. If you have current control you can change the current value in % too.
after you create your rule set you need to tell sheetcam under operations (plasma) which one or when you want to use rules.
In the middle of the operations menu you will see "Path Rules" a name will be in there if you are using path rules or click on the v and it will show you rule sets you have created and you pick the one you want to used the name will stay there until you change it. You can only use one rules set at a time but each one has as meany rules that you want to put in it.
Don't forget to save the tool set (down low in the file menu) when you have it setup and call it another name besides default
then you can switch tool sets when you want.
Attachments
path rules 7.jpg
path rules 6.jpg
path rules 5.jpg
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Biker
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Biker »

Acourtjester,

Thanks. I will look into this today but later on.
Precision Plasma 5 X 10
Mach 3
Sheetcam
Hypertherm Powermax 85
mike 1948
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mike 1948 »

Just out of curiosity, is the torch shut off and then it dives, or is the torch on when its diving?

Mike
Biker
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Biker »

Mike,

Torch is on when diving. Then the torch shuts off.
Precision Plasma 5 X 10
Mach 3
Sheetcam
Hypertherm Powermax 85
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

The reason for the path rule at the end is the torch is cutting to complete the cut. And it crosses the kerf for lead out or over cut. The path rule turns off the THC when it get lose to the end so it does not look at the arc volts and react.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
BTA Plasma

Post by BTA Plasma »

Hey there! Built with more Ethercuts here than anywhere in the world. The system requires the latest update. If you don't see Ethercut_UG and the icon is blue then you need to update. Update will reset most of your settings. Once setup it is a great system and you should not need a path rule to use it.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”