Wavy lines with Hypertherm PM45

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
GoingCustom
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Wavy lines with Hypertherm PM45

Post by GoingCustom »

I cut a couple things out the other day and didn't have any issues. Used the engraver attachment today (LDR table) and the engraving came out really nice. I then went to cut the parts out and got this - wavy lines and not cutting all of the way through... The PM45 was alternating "power fault" light and "temp" light prior to being able to use the cutter. This has happened before when it was cold, but I left the heater on in the garage and then turned machine back on and it worked just fine. Albeit, this only works if you leave it unplugged for 30+ minutes. It's also making a crackling noise while sitting there. I checked this site and Google for answers and so far I have changed out the consumables, blew air in reverse through torch lead, check water filter, checked the ground clamp, checked air hose and pressure and also the tried and true, turning it off and then back on again, but still no luck :( any suggestions? I'll get Hypertherm a call during business hours.

The image is being cut in reverse so I could engrave on the back of the piece. Also, the CV setting needs adjusted for lettering tweaked passed 85 degrees, but that I can change.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Travis

one of a kind gates, fine art and CNC designs
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Wavy lines with Hypertherm PM45

Post by weldor2005 »

Does it sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOgncTlorO8

Jim told me this is normal. I don't know about the cutting issues though.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
GoingCustom
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by GoingCustom »

weldor2005 wrote:Does it sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOgncTlorO8

Jim told me this is normal. I don't know about the cutting issues though.
yes, that is the noise! Good to know that it's normal at least.
Travis

Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

The waviness seems to be more related to your gantry. My first thought was that the engraver might have shaken something loose; a pinion possibly? Just throwing out ideas.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
GoingCustom
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by GoingCustom »

I thought about loose bolts as well because I found a loose bolt on the drive motor bracket before I started engraving. I then went through all of the bolts and didn't find anything else loose. Here's the engraving I did right before doing any cutting. If something was loose I think it would have messed up the engraving lines as well?
Attachments
image.jpg
Travis

Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Would the engraving itself cause a very different movement and vibration of the gantry/motors? If this is the first time you're doing the engraving then the effect of that action itself might have cause bolts to loosen.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The noise you mention fromn a Powermax45 is normal, has to do with the operating frequency of the inverter. Hard to tell on the cuts as I do not know your cut specs. Material thickness, amperage, what consumables, what is the actual (measured, not set) torch height while cutting, cut speed?

From the appearance of the cut I suspect:

- Torch running too high off the material.
- Work ground not connected.
-worn out nozzle
-air flow restriction (common to have icing in air systems this time of year....could explain the error led being active).

Jim Colt Hypertherm
GoingCustom
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by GoingCustom »

jimcolt wrote:The noise you mention fromn a Powermax45 is normal, has to do with the operating frequency of the inverter. Hard to tell on the cuts as I do not know your cut specs. Material thickness, amperage, what consumables, what is the actual (measured, not set) torch height while cutting, cut speed?

From the appearance of the cut I suspect:

- Torch running too high off the material.
- Work ground not connected.
-worn out nozzle
-air flow restriction (common to have icing in air systems this time of year....could explain the error led being active).

Jim Colt Hypertherm
The machine x, y, z were zeroed prior to starting. Torch height was checked prior to cutting and again after the cuts were found to be like they are. I went through manufactures "test" on verifying torch height is where it's supposed to be. Torch height control was active during said cuts, but I did turn it off afterwards to cut a couple lines to see if that was the issue. Material is 18g mild steel being cut at 16g settings. I have been cutting the 18g this way without issue since I got the table. As mentioned already, ground clamp was checked and consumables replaced with new ones. Restrictions in airflow was checked and it's also not below freezing right now.

I have used the engraver several times prior to this as well as the plasma without issues like this
Travis

GoingCustom
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by GoingCustom »

This was the last item cut a few days ago. I haven't changed any of the settings when trying to cut out what's posted above.
Attachments
image.jpg
Travis

Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. All I can say is when I had air issues, it looks nothing like that. It will cut straight, but not all the way through.

For checking torch height, you should be able to emergency stop it in the middle of the cut, and verify if it has been cutting at .06" if the machine does not move after you e-stop.

I take it it won't cut a straight line along the x or y axis? If so maybe you can try inspecting the bearings closely while it should be cutting straight to see if they are moving? Or do a market test? I only say this because maybe there is a tool path setting in Mach 3 that got goofed up.

Your cuts in particular look a lot like a burnt up nozzle to me. I assume these are genuine Hypertherm consumables?

I can tell you I have a Powermax65 and never have a "power fault" or "temp" light issue nor do I have to unplug it for 30 minutes. It also does not give a "crackling" noise just sitting there.
GoingCustom
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by GoingCustom »

Small update - turned everything off, found a couple of bolts that were barely loose. The PM45 was left unplugged overnight, plugged in this morning and turned on without issue. However, while cutting letters in the pic in this post, shortly after it (machine) referenced itself and was about to pierce when it stopped and the "power fault" light on the PM45 was solid yellow. I walked over to the machine to turn it off, but before I got to it, the light turned back off. I had my Miller plasma cutter plugged into the same outlet for almost 6 years without issue before selling it with my old table.
Attachments
image.jpg
Travis

GoingCustom
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by GoingCustom »

Everything seemed to be working again. Cut several things out without issue. Just used the engraver, switched the air supply back to the PM45, turned it on and the power fault and temperature lights are alternating back and forth again. It was working just fine about 5 minutes ago...

Turned the PM45 off and then back on and it's working... For as new as it is, I don't think this should be how it works. Suppose I'll call tech support in the morning as I have to go to work soon.
Travis

Bigrhamr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigrhamr »

Have you checked the power supply line for proper voltage? Might have a breaker going bad, or a weak connection somewhere in the circuit that goes bad when under a load.
dhelfter
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by dhelfter »

Being that there are multiple systems interconnected, sometimes one can cause another to look like the problem. We basically have 4 systems:

1.computer/software
2. Electronics/motors
3. Mechanical/power transmission
4. Plasma cutter

Within these 4 systems are subsets, for example thc would fall under both 1 and 2.

This is how I would go about troubleshooting:
1. Turn thc off. Even if not the problem, the fact it "corrects" can cause an error loop to grow. Leave it of till all testing is done
2. Cut a simple circle, something around 1" to 4".Using the book specs for that material. We have noticed circles are very good indicators of loose mechanical parts and backlash.
If circle is good, most likely the mechanical components are ok, or at least not loose. If circle is poor, I would do the same cut, but very slow. You will get tons of dross but we are only testing motion. If motion path is correct now, then I would look at the computer/software side for sluggish pulsing, or loose torch mount.
3. If you still do not get a nice circle, I would rig up a marker, and leave plasma cutter off and again"cut" the circle. Depending on cutting speed you can do this with the scribe, just make sure to use very little down force so you don't snap something.

Looking at the information you have given,
I doubt it is mechanical (doubt only as I am proven wrong daily!) The scribe being a contact operation is usually less tolerant of loose parts.
I would check the torch mount though, as that is the only mechanical part that is not relevant to both scribing and plasma cutting.
The fact that your plasma cutter is "acting weird" at the same time you are now getting wavy cuts seems like a huge coincidence to me, could be I guess, but unlikely.
The fact you have cut a lot of material with these settings, most likely that is not the issue.
I believe we can eliminate system 2 and 3 from above being that the scribe does not have an issue. We can not eliminate #1 yet, because even though we use the same computer to pulse for scribing and cutting, the scribe operation is done much slower which requires less computer resources. That is why I recommend a high speed marker or scribe test above, with plasma off.

Remember the key to troubleshooting is not always finding the cause of a problem, but eliminating what it is not.

Thanks
Dan
LDR
GoingCustom
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by GoingCustom »

Thanks Dan. I am at work at the moment, but I will give all of that a try in the morning and e-mail you back with results.
Travis

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”