AVHC issues cutting 1" mild steel plate

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Charlieboy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

AVHC issues cutting 1" mild steel plate

Post by Charlieboy »

Yesterday evening I was cutting 1" thick steel plate for the first time. I am running a Torchmate X table and I had the AVHC set in manual mode and cutting with a Hypertherm 105 using 105 amp consumables, edge starting, at 18-20 IPM. The torch would cut for 1.5-2.5" and then the torch would dive into the material.... Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance
Terry
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: AVHC issues cutting 1" mild steel plate

Post by Terry »

Try speeding it up if its Torch height control should work
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

I have no idea about Torchmate systems but I'm assuming "AVHC in manual mode" means the automatic torch height control is off.

If that is the case have you eliminated the code itself as being the cause. Is there anything in the gcode commanding the z axis to move down.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
Charlieboy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Charlieboy »

Not that I can see, Torchmate is saying that it is interference,,,, :roll:
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Charlieboy wrote:Not that I can see, Torchmate is saying that it is interference,,,, :roll:
Please don't take offence but what you said there leaves me asking the question do you understand the gcode. Can you identify (in the gcode) the start point, touch off, command to switch the torch on, etc. After that everything should be a bunch of XY moves and no Z moves at least until cut path is complete and you get a command to turn the torch off, and maybe raise the Z axis.

If there definitely is no Z moves in the gcode, then it is quite possible that noise could be causing the issue. Perhaps at the higher cutting current the noise is greater and this is why you only notice it cutting the thicker plate. So first thing is to ensure all proper grounding procedures have been done. Do you have any control/signal cables running next to the high power noisy plasma cable, etc.

If you can spare some steel, try exactly the same cut on thinner metal (less current / noise) but change the feedrate in the gcode to suit. Does the same thing happen.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

HIYA KEITH, The torchmate does not WORK that way with its Gcode. (;-) I have one sitting in the shop (;-)

The torch feed(Z)is seperate from the XY it is really a 2 axis machine XY with Z being a seperate function. At the the FIRST g1 it signals the torch to lower to find the TOM. IT finds the TOM when the motor binds up and creates a LOAD that the hardware sees and then back UP to the preset value(Pierce Height0 and then lightS the torch. AT the next GO the torch goes OFF and the Z raises to the Z Home. Repeat,repeat till the EOF.

It is NOT like Mach3.

(;-)TP
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

vmax549 wrote:HIYA KEITH, The torchmate does not WORK that way with its Gcode. (;-) I have one sitting in the shop (;-)

The torch feed(Z)is seperate from the XY it is really a 2 axis machine XY with Z being a seperate function. At the the FIRST g1 it signals the torch to lower to find the TOM. IT finds the TOM when the motor binds up and creates a LOAD that the hardware sees and then back UP to the preset value(Pierce Height0 and then lightS the torch. AT the next GO the torch goes OFF and the Z raises to the Z Home. Repeat,repeat till the EOF.

It is NOT like Mach3.

(;-)TP
Thanks very much Terry, good to know.

Sorry Charlie, I meant well. Hope you get your issue sorted.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
Charlieboy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Charlieboy »

Its all good, I appreciate it Keith.

Vmax549, What is your opinion on what is going on with my table?
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

As a test try turning the power OFF to the THC so it cannot interact then recut the part. IF it still does it you MAY have to reload the Values to the Zmotor . Check with torchmate on the proceedure.

NOW are you sure you have all the settings correct for the material you are cutting ??

Just a though, (;-) TP

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”