New and Questions

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Biker
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

New and Questions

Post by Biker »

First I'm new here. Have a lot to learn as well.
First How do you get the Z to come back up when you jam it out on the plate?
In Mach3 when I'm cutting the preset volts is set to 125 which is in sheetcam but the volts at torch is showing 140. Should these be the same volts?
In sheetcam how do you rotate a part after you import a drawing.

Happy New Year to everyone
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: New and Questions

Post by _Ogre »

z axis should jog with the page up/down keys

sheetcam has a row near the bottom of the screen where you can rotate the A axis of the drawing
in the same row you can enter X and Y axis offsets, you can also mirror either axis in the same row
there is also an X,Y cursor location, helpful for quickly determining the size of the material needed
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

no worries we all had to learn once you get you thinking around the functions it becomes easier.
Some time you need to turn off the motor power and turn the shaft to move Z up but most of the time you just click on the red reset and then page up. It moves up a small amount and trips the reset again but maybe 3 time in a row it will clear the switch and continue up. If you have run a test to find out what you plasma's voltage is for your cut height that is the preset volts and they should be the same while cutting.
In sheetcam down at the bottom you will find a place that shows degrees normally set to 0 just put the mouse that and change it. It will rotate the part you will now need to go to the top and click on the 4 way arrow and then with your mouse place the part where you want it. back at the bottom there are X and Y positions you can enter changes in there to move the part around like if yo want it all the way to the left put a 0 in X. Another think is if you want to check the size of a part or distance apart you can move you mouse around and the first 2 number show its X and Y location. If the part is all the way to the left and you move to its right most end the numbers with show how long it is same thing with y how tall it is. :)
You can re-size it buy clicking on new job and don't save it then reload the DFX file and change the scaling and remeasure it. :lol:
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Biker
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Biker »

_Ogre wrote:z axis should jog with the page up/down keys

sheetcam has a row near the bottom of the screen where you can rotate the A axis of the drawing
in the same row you can enter X and Y axis offsets, you can also mirror either axis in the same row
there is also an X,Y cursor location, helpful for quickly determining the size of the material needed
Ogre, I will try this tomorrow :D
Biker
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Biker »

acourtjester wrote:no worries we all had to learn once you get you thinking around the functions it becomes easier.
Some time you need to turn off the motor power and turn the shaft to move Z up but most of the time you just click on the red reset and then page up. It moves up a small amount and trips the reset again but maybe 3 time in a row it will clear the switch and continue up. If you have run a test to find out what you plasma's voltage is for your cut height that is the preset volts and they should be the same while cutting.
In sheetcam down at the bottom you will find a place that shows degrees normally set to 0 just put the mouse that and change it. It will rotate the part you will now need to go to the top and click on the 4 way arrow and then with your mouse place the part where you want it. back at the bottom there are X and Y positions you can enter changes in there to move the part around like if yo want it all the way to the left put a 0 in X. Another think is if you want to check the size of a part or distance apart you can move you mouse around and the first 2 number show its X and Y location. If the part is all the way to the left and you move to its right most end the numbers with show how long it is same thing with y how tall it is. :)
You can re-size it buy clicking on new job and don't save it then reload the DFX file and change the scaling and remeasure it. :lol:
Acourtjester, I will try the Z thing next time it jams. If you have run a test to find out what you plasma's voltage is for your cut height that is the preset volts and they should be the same while cutting. How do you run this test. I know go back to the manual. It's too hard for me to understand. Please go over this preset volts with me. I understand where to set the curnet and volts in the tools in sheetcam and I see the volts at the bottom of the Mach3 screen but the volts on the top screen does not read the same. Oh I'm having a hard time with this.
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

Biker, it is confusing at first, but soon it will all make sense. (I hope I reach that point soon!).

Anyway, it will help if you tell us about your setup, what table, what plasma cutter, etc.

PreSet Volts:
Depending on your equipment, your Sheetcam tool table may already be set up. Your plasma cutter manual should give you the right pierce and cutting height measurements, as well as other parameters.
Usually you make a long straight test cut with the Torch Height Control off, with the torch set at the right cutting height using a suitable gauge. Pay attention to the cutting voltage and write it down. It should stay fairly constant as you cut. This voltage is the voltage you enter in your Sheetcam tool table as the preset voltage. It changes for every different gauge of metal you cut. When your Torch Height Control is on, the Z axis will move up and down to try to stay at that voltage.

Hope that helps a little, Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
gary42095
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by gary42095 »

voltage is preset in mach isnt it???

or am i missing something?
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I suppose the type of equipment used determines where the preset volts are set. I use CandCNC and Hypertherm equipment and my preset volts are set with Sheetcam. Here's a line from a Sheetcam generated g-code file showing the pre-set volts being set:

N0180 S3117 (Preset Volts set to 117 Volts).

This was for 12 gauge steel.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

There are a few things you will need to know
Not all plasma units have the same arc voltage for the same cut height so that is why you run tests to determine your arc voltage.
If you are using a Proma THC the arc voltage is shown on the front panel while you are cutting. If you are using other THC they may have a display in the Mach 3 screen showing both pre-set and actual arc voltage. I have a CandCNC DTHC-IV with this I can use the manual guide sheet for arc voltage that comes with the Hypertherm plasma unit.
Now to test set you torch as the very edge of the metal (arc half on and half off) and you will make a straight cut about 5? long enough for the arc voltage to be displayed. I would use a cut height of 0.060? depending on the metal thickness set you amps. Here is a simple G-code to use for ?? at 45 amps run with THC off as you don't have a voltage value yet.
M3
G04 p0.6
G1 X5 f60
M5
This will turn on the torch with a delay of .6 sec and then move the X direction for 5? and shut off the torch. After the cut you want t look at the dross to see it the speed needs to be changed
Record the arc voltage. This voltage is what you will use for ?? for mine is about 137 that said you may not get the same and that is why you need to test. After you happy with the cut quality you can move on to other metal thickness and run a similar test speed most likely will change.
I'm sure other will contribute but this is a start.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Biker
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Biker »

Acourtjester and all, This forum wont let me do a signture I don't know why. Oh Well. This is what I have. Candcnc Bladerunner 620 DTHC- IV, Feather Touch OHMIC Plate sensing. Hypertherm Powermax 85 Sheetcam, Mach3 Precision Plasma Ganity 5 X 10

I will do this test again and get back to you guys. Thanks.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Ok one at a time signature go to user control panel click on profile there you will find edit signature.

for the pre-set volts you must use SheetCam developer it free down load it and it will user you license.
In sheetcam you need to open "tool sets" under the file tab this will allow you to load CandCNC's tool file for hypertherm but you will need to edit them and then save with a name you pick so latter you can reload it any time you want. This will have all the spects for cutting.
These are located in the folder "SheetCam-CandCNC" then in :ToolSets" this should have come with you software.
To edit them use the Hypertherm manual.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Biker
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Biker »

Acourtjester,

For the signature. I know where to go but when I try to do mine it says I do not have permission to do so.

I do have my Sheetcam license. Have loaded the Candcnc HYP tool sets and can edit and save them.

So when I do my test like you have said with this MDI program you listed. Do I do this with each and ever torch tip and metal thickness? I do have the Hypertherm manual and tip specs they recommend.

Hopefully today I can get back to the plasma.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

You can skip that test the Hypertherm manual is a close as you need to be as the manual and tools match in sheetcam. if you did the check of the switch off set that CandCNC tell you to do you should be good to go.
The whole purpose is the verify the correct torch height to start with.
Now you can match the metal with the hypertherm tool chart in sheetcam and the pre-set volts are there and the switch off set too.
Time to cut :lol:
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

Biker wrote:For the signature. I know where to go but when I try to do mine it says I do not have permission to do so.
i believe you have to be a contributing member to have a avatar, a signature or to download/upload files
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”