Cut issues with hypertherm pm45?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
tm america
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Cut issues with hypertherm pm45?

Post by tm america »

Ever since I started running this hypertherm powermax 45 problem I am having is ...It seems when I first start the machine it seems to sometimes misfire on starts and give torch voltages that are inconsistant..after it has cut maybe 50 inches it seems to work fine and the torch volts then become consistant...Wondering if anyone else has this issue and if so what did you do to fix the issue?I had the same cutter with two different machines same thing..I drain the compressor and water separators before I start cutting everytime although this is not much of an issue..I have an automatic drain on the compressor,then the air line runs up and 50 ft across the shop then half way down the 12 ft wall..There is a tee at this location where the air line goes down and over the line that goes down has a drain .. the other line goes over about 5 ft then back up and over another 50 ft to the next three water separators.these three never have any water or moisture in them So I doupt it is a water issue..
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Cut issues with hypertherm pm45?

Post by muzza »

I have had similar.
What I normally do is purge the air and fire the torch a couple of times before doing my first cut for the day, if I forget to do it it will almost always misfire on the first pirece. When I do fire it, it often spits a bit and then comes clean. I just assumed it gets a bit of condensation overnight after having a hot torch.
Murray
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

There is nothing electrical in a Powermax system that needs to warm up.....but since you mention you get different cut quality and sometimes misfiring at the beginning of use...I would have to agree that there likely is something affecting air flow or air purity that may need attention. If you have some moisture or oil in your system it will show up in the onboard air regulator filter bowl. I would take a look at that (it has an auto drain....but you should see residue in the clear plastic bowl) to determine if this is present in your system.

Often moisture will puddle in a low point in your compressed air system during idle hours....and will get into the plasma (or other air tools) immediately upon first use.

You may also want to try a new retaining cap and a new swirl ring.....these slowly wear over time and will cause cut quality issues as well as misfiring.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
tm america
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tm america »

I am almost wondering if the transformer on the cutter is getting condensation on it..cuz it does it even if I change the consumables ..It usually doesn't misfire the first pierce ..It is usually like the third or fourth pierce that it will misfire on.But the torch volts will be off and it will cause the torch to dive cuz the torch volts are high till the machine warms up...Till it warms up the torch volts are high and jump around a lot once it warms up it goes down to normal and stays consistant.
tm america
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tm america »

Jim Colt is the filter inside the machine a washable type or should I buy a new one to just change it out while I am in there...I might move it to the outside of the machine while i'm at it .I like to be able to see the final filter at a glance .I am in the process of moving to a bigger shop and am gonna do a zig zag style condensing type water separator at the new shop .. plus all the things I have in place now..Anything else you might suggest to help keep water out of the system?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

If your getting condensation on the transformer in the plasma cutter you have an Environmental problem. There must be a temperature change overnight causing it to sweat. You may want to take you hypertherm home with you at night :lol:
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
tm america
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tm america »

acourtjester wrote:If your getting condensation on the transformer in the plasma cutter you have an Environmental problem. There must be a temperature change overnight causing it to sweat. You may want to take you hypertherm home with you at night :lol:
..If I bring it home with me should it take it in the bed and tuck it in under the covers with me?? :lol: I do turn the heat down to 50 at night but it did it in the summer when it stayed a pretty consistant temp ..I guess I could put the filter on the outside of the cutter and have a drain between the filter and the cutter that way I could purge any water that might condensate over night?Seems this would be better than running it thru the consumables or making a few wasted cuts
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The element in the filter/regulator is meant to be replaced.....although if it looks dirty you certainly can try to clean it....I have no suggestions on how to clean it. Condensation on a transformer inside the Powermax will not have an effect on cutting voltage. Cutting voltage is determined by the length of the arc as well as the resistance of the arc. If you have something other than air in the plasma arc...the resistance will change. If the resistance of the arc changes due to moisture, oil, particulates in the air...the height control will adjust the height in order to maintain the correct voltage.....sounds like it (the height control) is doing just that!

Here is what I suspect:

1. You have a certain amount of moisture in your air system.....probably it is in aerosol form so it may not be noticeable when spraying an air hose in the air.

2. The trapped air in your air lines (hoses, pipes, filters, fittings, etc.) cools somewhat at night in your shop. When moist air cools the arosols become droplets of water, and will run to the lowest part of the plumbing.

3. This water may be puddling......so when you fire up the plasma first thing in the morning and air starts flowing.....some slugs of water get pushed into the plasma torch.

4. Water level in the torch changes the resistance of the arc, height control adjusts torch height (down) to try to compensate, torch crashes into material.

5. As you allow air flow for a few minutes....all of the "pools" of moisture in your plumbing system are removed, good cutting and proper torch height control resumes.

6. Next day, repeat the above!

This is not the first time this has occurred. Here is what you should do:

1. Install an auto drain on your compressor......or drain the compressor daily.
2. Install at least 20' of copper or black iron pipe after your compressor.....and at the low point at the end of this 20' install a coalescing water removal filter. This should be located at the end of the pipe.....which should have a "drop leg" (low point) and a riser (high point).
3. Run the air to your plasma system from the riser (high point on the pipe) after the coalescing filter.
4. Likely this will minimize issues......however if you still see signs of moisture in the plastic bowl on the plasma cutter onboard moisture trap....then it may be time to start searching for a refrigerated dryer.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
tm america
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tm america »

I have an auto drain on the compressor,then it has a water separator right on the compressor.from there the air goes up 12 ft in 1/2 steel line and across the shop ceiling about 50 ft to the other side of the shop where it drops down to the t that runs down to the floor with a another drain. then it goes back up to the ceiling and over another 50 ft to the next set of water separators.. they are 1/2 inlets and outlet. the first is a filter- water separator/the next two are just water separators with glass bowls.. then it runs down to the plasma cutter..i drain the tank and the drains in the line daily as well as drain the three near the cutter.i never see any water in any of the ones near the cutter..I am thinking of doing a similar set up in the new shop except with adding two copper tube zig zag condensing separators..one near the compressor with an auto drain and one near the cutter before it hits my final three then to the cutter......
I am really hoping I can get away without running a refrigerant type of sepatarors....If for no other reason than just knowing it can be done with good results

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”