oxygen vs air

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
rikduk
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

oxygen vs air

Post by rikduk »

This is a question for those with a oxygen plasma...we bought a hypertherm hsd 130 plasma, wich can run either on oxygen-air, or air-air for plasma-shield gas.
I tried both, but couldnt see a difference in quality of cut between the two.Big features cut quality was astonishing with both, I tried 1/2 steel at 130 amps, small holes (5/8), not so much, @ 50% of cut speed, all at book spec...but i think thats expected. Just thought maybe i would see a bigger difference.

Thanks
Richard
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: oxygen vs air

Post by jimcolt »

Oxygen produces the best plate edge metalurgy with minimal hardness, a more consistent edge angularity, and 100% edge weldability. If you cut 1000 parts with oxygen and 1000 parts with air and measured them on a coordinate measurement machine (CMM) you would see that the oxygen parts were superior in consistency. Further, with the HSD you will get about 2 to 3 times the consumable life as well as higher cut speeds. The HSD is designed for industrial needs where the above are strict requirements, that is why it is designed to use oxygen. If you cut a few parts daily and edge appearance is all you care about, then the air plasma may well be a better choice.

Air plasma cost less to purchase, more to operate over the long term. A liquid cooled long life oxygen system cost more to purchase and less to operate over the long term, and that includes the cost of oxygen vs air.

If anyone is coming to the Fabtech show in Chicago this week, stop by the Hypertherm booth. We have 5 identical cuts of a pretty complex design cut with 1. A Powermax air plasma, 2. A oxygen long life plasma (HSD130), 3. an oxygen high definition plasma (HPR130XD), 4. a 3.0 kW Fiber Laser (HyIntensity Laser from Hypertherm) and 5. An abrasive water jet from Hypertherms new water jet division. Each is detailed in it accuracy and productio costs, all of the cuts are very nice.. This help the user decide which process will provide the best long term benefits for cutting metal.

Jim Colt

rikduk wrote:This is a question for those with a oxygen plasma...we bought a hypertherm hsd 130 plasma, wich can run either on oxygen-air, or air-air for plasma-shield gas.
I tried both, but couldnt see a difference in quality of cut between the two.Big features cut quality was astonishing with both, I tried 1/2 steel at 130 amps, small holes (5/8), not so much, @ 50% of cut speed, all at book spec...but i think thats expected. Just thought maybe i would see a bigger difference.

Thanks
Richard
rikduk
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rikduk »

Mr Colt, as usual, you were right, and very helpful. I tried another 1/2 inch piece with smaller holes, and ho@#$ sh%? !
The 1/2 inch hole is almost perfect top to bottom! Guess i quit a little too easy...
Thank you
PS. For those of us who cant go to Chicago, pics of the different pi?ces?
tm america
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tm america »

I have been running my hypertherm powermax 45 on air wondering and wondering how much of an improvement i would see going with oxygen instead of air..I am thinking of making the switch but would like to see some cut example showing the difference between air and oxygen?
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The Powermax 45 (as well as all Hypertherm Powermax systems) was designed to operate on air or nitogen (air is the best choice for almost all materials). Do not use these systems with oxygen as the plasma gas......you will risk internal oxygen supported combustion that will damage the torch, leads and power supply.

This is true with virtually all plasma cutters that are designed for air cutting. The use of oxygen requires specialized gas flow control components, unique power supply output control, and torches and torch leads that are designed for oxygen use....as well as liquid cooling of the torch and consumables.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

tm america wrote:I have been running my hypertherm powermax 45 on air wondering and wondering how much of an improvement i would see going with oxygen instead of air..I am thinking of making the switch but would like to see some cut example showing the difference between air and oxygen?

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”