Random Cutting Problem

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
jsd010
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Random Cutting Problem

Post by jsd010 »

Can anyone help with this problem?

I am running a Cutmaster A60 with an 80amp tip on 3/16 metal and on some designs it cuts everything out just fine, but when I put a new sheet of metal on to cut the same design again it will start cutting then, on some straight cuts, it will only gouge and not get the full penetration. I have it set up according to the book and have tried lowering the speed and raising the amperage but still have this issue. The ground clamp is securely clamped to the metal.
Josh Dahlem
Ag Teacher
Stanley FFA
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Random Cutting Problem

Post by Brand X »

I found the highest quality cut on 3/16 mild steel is using a 50/55 amp tip (around a 55 amps output, because it's a guess with the Thermal machines) Shielded tip/ 125 volts/ .200 pierce/.170 cut height/ 85 ipm... Some of the best cuts I have gotten using the A series machines. Less top edge rounding, so less bevel.. Very smooth cut face.. Better then 60 amps, and 40 amp tips overall.. I use 40 amps with my Esab on the same thickness. Not going to help your setup, but it will give you a place to start.. Ebay has the factory 50/55 tips.. He seem to deal on price a bit.. (Best offer)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221088804463?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
jsd010
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Random Cutting Problem

Post by jsd010 »

Thanks. Never seen 50 amp tips at my supplier.
Josh Dahlem
Ag Teacher
Stanley FFA

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”