cutting holes pierce but no cutting

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

cutting holes pierce but no cutting

Post by acourtjester »

I have a buddy in another town that is having a problem he is cutting duplicate parts with holes in them. The torch does the pierce and then moves to the next place to cut without cutting the circle for the hole. This is an intermittent problem he is using SheetCam and mach 3. After bringing in the part in to SheetCam he uses the mouse to click on duplicate to add more of the same parts to cut. It will cut some of the holes but not others. Help will be appreciated
Thanks Tom
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
acourtjester

Re: cutting holes pierce but no cutting

Post by acourtjester »

I forgot to add the he is cutting the inside of the holes in a CCW direction.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

What model plasma cutter, what thickness and type of material, and what amperage and consumables are being used?

Jim Colt Hypertherm
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

He has a Hypertherm PM65 his is the reason I bought my PM65 and I am sure he is using the posted perimeters from the manual.
here is his first message about the problem and one of the images he sent

Hey tom hoping you could help me out with this problem, a lot of times the machine will not cut holes, it usually is in rows along the x or y axis. The simulation on sheet cam always looks fine but when i run the program it pierces and dose the lead in but it skips the circle part all together, its like its just skips over that part of the g code on a linear line, it has been making my work take a lot longer than it should sometimes i can redraw two half circles side by side and recut to get a single hole but that doesn't always work i would be willing to paypal you something for your time, i have been getting a lot of miles out of the table and am backed up with work
and
Thanks i checked it and i am running CCW on inside circles and CW on any outside cuts. The simulation cuts fine in sheetcam but mach 3 doesn't i thought it might be the g code was corrupt so i compared the holes that cut to the ones that did not, i attached pics
Attachments
chris problem.JPG
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Check your delay times. It might be that you are delaying the pierce and it is holding the torch instead of letting it cut the hole. By the time it gets done delaying, the hole has already been passed by the g-code so it just moves to the next cut.

Not sure but it may be something to look at. I would remove the delays and run it in test (no cutting) and see if the torch moves to cut the holes. good place to start anyways.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Stout
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Stout »

I'm using TurboNest and it has a setting to pre pierce the lead in's on specific thickness materials. So it pierces all the start points and then goes back to the beginning of the plate and uses the pierces as edge start. Maybe....
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

acourtjester wrote:I have a buddy in another town that is having a problem he is cutting duplicate parts with holes in them. The torch does the pierce and then moves to the next place to cut without cutting the circle for the hole. This is an intermittent problem he is using SheetCam and mach 3. After bringing in the part in to SheetCam he uses the mouse to click on duplicate to add more of the same parts to cut. It will cut some of the holes but not others. Help will be appreciated
Thanks Tom
A couple of things. On smaller holes you need to drop the feedrate by about 50% and turn off the DTHC.

Make sure you are using the DTHC-HYT-TAP_SoftPierce+Marker-rev11D.scpost with the DTHCIV (and if it is the Ether-Cut) get the Upgrade for the Ehter-Cut (10-24-14) off the Manuals page on the website and run the installer. That ZIP has the llatest firmware for the DTHCIV (recommended) and the POST I listed above

TOM C
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Tom Thanks for the reply It is not I that is having the problem He does not have your DTHC I do. I asked it he was using cut rules and he said no. I asked him to send me a file that failed so I could try it to see how it cuts here Not happened yet.
I have the rev C post processor I have the MP3100 are you saying the rev D will work on mine??
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”