communication error

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
btarr
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

communication error

Post by btarr »

I am constantly having trouble with a communication error icon popping up. I initialize and it will cut again but it may do this 3 times on a rectangle that is 1' x 1'. What is the deal, anyone else had this trouble. I have checked wires to make sure they are plugged in well. My computer is about 3feet from my cutter. Should that make a big difference?
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: communication error

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Can you call PlasmaCAM?

I would look at grounding. It seems that lack of "proper" grounding causes more problems than can be listed.

Remember we all call it grounding, especially us newbies . . . In reality it is the positive side of the cutting circuit.

1. Is your table frame grounded to a separate ground rod with nothing else going to that ground point.

2. Are you connecting your work lead(aka ground wire) from your plasma unit directly to the material being cut?

3. Do not assume you have a good connection based on the slats being grounded.

4. Have you changed receptacle used to power the table, power the control PC?

Just a few things I went through. . . the Dynatorch guys helped me figure it out . . .

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Assuming it is a Plasmacam table (when you say initialize instead of "home" that gives a clue....always helpful if you identify the equipment when looking for help!):

-Make sure you have removed all unnecessary software....especially printer drivers off your machine PC.
-Purchase a 700 (or larger) watt rated UPS (uninterruptible power supply) from an office supply store, plug the PlasmaCam control box and your machine PC into the protected outlets.
-Install a ground rod within a couple feet of the machine. Run the plasma work cable to the ground rod, and another cable of the same size from the ground rod to the slatbed. Securely bolt to the ground rod and the slat bed, ensure the metal is clean where bolted.

Usually the first two steps will solve your issues on a plasmacam, sometimes the ground rod is also necessary. It is also possible that your Parallel cable is too long, or is not of a high quality, shielded design. Try another parallel cable, keep it as short as possible.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

btarr wrote:I am constantly having trouble with a communication error icon popping up. I initialize and it will cut again but it may do this 3 times on a rectangle that is 1' x 1'. What is the deal, anyone else had this trouble. I have checked wires to make sure they are plugged in well. My computer is about 3feet from my cutter. Should that make a big difference?
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

Steve, Jim,,,

I'm having the same problem with my PlasmaCam had PM-30.
All the steps Jim mentioned have been done over the years and each one helped exponentially but now It's really getting to be an annoyance. My shop neighbor has electrical background and has suggested hooking an amprobe to the system. The HP-30 is running 240v. The power to the shops is partially 'home grown' and there may be some connection there. I was doing just fine until recently and now it's getting to be a big time waster. The shop is in a storage locker 'farm' and who known what may have been changed recently. :cry:
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
DCMetalArt
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by DCMetalArt »

I had the same problems. I am new to the metal world, but I moved my plasma cutter at least 6' away from my computer n have not had any problems since.

Thanks to all that post here as I have gathered some really good information and ideas. :)
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

In my first shop I got an unbelievable amount of noise while cutting. I think that the computer and the controller were both on the same circuit that my dogs underground fence was on... Every time that I was cutting, the fence control would beep at me like it would as if there was a brake in the line. The computer was right next to it as well here. I had issues with the computer loosing its mouse and keyboard which were both USB, and I checked for IRQ issues here and found nothing helpful there.

In shop number two, I isolated the computer in a nice insulated office, and made sure that the circuit I used to run to this office was from the other side of the panel than the plasmacam controller is on outside of the shop office (So opposite phases of the 220V). I am using about a 25' parallel cord, also as Jim mentioned, a UPS as well. Other than a random THC issue a while back (which a software update fixed), I haven't had many issues. every now and then the keyboard still blinks out, but no where near as bad as Shop number 1. No dog fence this time.

Hope that offers a little insight.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
Jeff M
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Jeff M »

I some times have had the same problem. I thought maybe the grate points were not getting a good connection, so I hooked one end of a jumper cable to the piece being cut an the other end to the copper ground rod wire .and it has seemed to take care of the problem. It's an easy way to see if that cures your problem.

Jeff M
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

My solution . . .

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Work Lead 1.jpg

I bought a 200 amp TWECO Clamp, 15' of 6 GA welding cable, a small piece of brass & two grade 8 bolts & nuts.

* Created a permanent connection point out of the piece of brass.
* Polished the brass.
* Bolted it to the rear of the center support with Grade 8 bolts so I could torque down for a good connection.

My work clamp stays connected there on the brass. If I am doing something with a small piece of material that probably won't make a good connection to the slats I connect the little TWECO as an additional work lead connection.

The TWECO is "FLAT" on one side so it won't interfere with torch movement is placed well.
Attachments
Work Lead 3.jpg
Work Lead 2.jpg
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”