Difference between two machines...

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
davek0974
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Difference between two machines...

Post by davek0974 »

Using my plasma more and more has got me wondering...

In comparison, would there be any difference in cut quality between my little XP30 with it's hand torch at 30A and a PM45 and machine torch at 30A?

It's a big upgrade cost and I'm trying to find out if there is any difference in cut quality between the two torches/units at the same power level.

I know the duty cycle is more favourable but I haven't yet hit the limit on my 30XP so that's probably not an issue.

Am I likely to see a difference?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Difference between two machines...

Post by acourtjester »

I can say I see a difference between the plasma cutters I have both have about the same power.
Both have machine torches and the Hypertherm PM65 cuts far better then the other.
Faster and cleaner.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
davek0974
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by davek0974 »

Thanks but thats on both with machine torches.

I have the powermax 30XP with Duramax LT hand torch, currently fitted to my little table and working well.

However I am thinking of upgrading my THC as it's, to put it bluntly, crap!

This means I need the machine interface and the only Hypertherm I could possibly run in my home shop is the PM45 which has the CNC torch on it.

As its a costly upgrade, I am trying to justify the benefits of better THC by getting a better cut also, but the only way to gauge this would be by comparing BOTH machines at the same power setting on the same material.

I do not need or really want higher speed as my homebuilt table is practically at its limit cutting 1.5mm steel at 30A so more speed is not really good for me.

I cant run a bigger machine as my supply is limited to 32A 240v, I would have to run the compressor off a different supply but that's do-able.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

When cutting at 30 amps (Powermax30XP vs Powermax45 using the 30 amp consumables) the Powermax30XP will do a better job....especially if you use the Finecut nozzle. It is newer technology, narrower cut width.

Hypertherm does not recommend the Powermax30XP for mechanized cutting, the Powermax45 is recommended for mechanized. Power and duty cycle are the reasons for the ability to be used productively and safely on a cnc machine.

That being said, there are a few using the Powermax30 and 30XP on cnc machines.....as long as you stay on materials thinner than 3/16" with the 30 amp systems you probably won't have duty cycle issues.

Jim

davek0974 wrote:Thanks but thats on both with machine torches.

I have the powermax 30XP with Duramax LT hand torch, currently fitted to my little table and working well.

This means I need the machine interface and the only Hypertherm I could possibly run in my home shop is the PM45 which has the CNC torch on it.

As its a costly upgrade, I am trying to justify the benefits of better THC by getting a better cut also, but the only way to gauge this would be by comparing BOTH machines at the same power setting on the same material.

I do not need or really want higher speed as my homebuilt table is practically at its limit cutting 1.5mm steel at 30A so more speed is not really good for me.

I cant run a bigger machine as my supply is limited to 32A 240v, I would have to run the compressor off a different supply but that's do-able.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Jim, is it possible we will see this improved technology in the PowerMAX 65, 85 & 105 soon.

If so, is it a torch enhancement or power supply?
jimcolt wrote:When cutting at 30 amps (Powermax30XP vs Powermax45 using the 30 amp consumables) the Powermax30XP will do a better job....especially if you use the Finecut nozzle. It is newer technology, narrower cut width.

Hypertherm does not recommend the Powermax30XP for mechanized cutting, the Powermax45 is recommended for mechanized. Power and duty cycle are the reasons for the ability to be used productively and safely on a cnc machine.

That being said, there are a few using the Powermax30 and 30XP on cnc machines.....as long as you stay on materials thinner than 3/16" with the 30 amp systems you probably won't have duty cycle issues.

Jim

Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
davek0974
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by davek0974 »

Many thanks Jim,

That sort of answers my question perfectly, I will hang on to my wonderful little 30xp a bit longer then, as I said, I don't need more speed and the capacity of it is perfectly adequate.

I will have to work on the THC a little more.

Thanks
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The Powermax65, 85 and 105 already have the FineCut technology and the Duramax torch technology. The 30XP is the first dual voltage system to have this capability.

Jim Colt

CNCCAJUN wrote:Jim, is it possible we will see this improved technology in the PowerMAX 65, 85 & 105 soon.

If so, is it a torch enhancement or power supply?
jimcolt wrote:When cutting at 30 amps (Powermax30XP vs Powermax45 using the 30 amp consumables) the Powermax30XP will do a better job....especially if you use the Finecut nozzle. It is newer technology, narrower cut width.

Jim

zachv
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by zachv »

Just to confirm, the current 45 machines do not have the Fine Cut or upgraded torch capabilities, right?
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The 45 has not changed since it was introduced about 6 or so years ago. No Finecut consumables, however it does allow the use of the 30 amp Powermax30 consumables for best cut quality on thin materials.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

zachv wrote:Just to confirm, the current 45 machines do not have the Fine Cut or upgraded torch capabilities, right?

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”