stainless cutting

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
rikduk
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

stainless cutting

Post by rikduk »

I'm sure some of you cut some stainless with water tables.
How do you get rid of the staining the water does on the sheet? wipe it as soon as its cut, good scrubbing, maybe a water additive?
I know downdraft would be good, but not possible at the moment.

Also, some stainless i buy has a protective plastic film on one side to protect the finish. But cutting melts it on the edges. The only solution i found was to peel it all off before cutting.
Peeling just where i cut is a pain especially when cutting complex pieces.
Thanks

Richard
Garysbiz
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: stainless cutting

Post by Garysbiz »

I dont know anything about cutting stainless but I do cut a lot of aluminum and concerning the plastic coating, that is all I buy in aluminum is with it coated one side, It does protect from staining when cutting and I can peel it off later and I clean it around the cuts with acetone prior to TIG welding. I do lower the water level to decrease the hydrogen build up but still get splashing and the burnt plastic smell is kind of ugly even though I have an exhaust system over the table. I don't know if this helps you but it could be similar.
rikduk
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rikduk »

plastic over or Under?
Havent tried with the table, but with my handheld plasma, it has a hard time starting the arc through the plastic.
Garysbiz
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Garysbiz »

Because of the dross, I cut only with plastic on top, machine torch has never had a problem starting.
thefabguy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by thefabguy »

I sometimes cut stainless...304 .06 thk. I found that the Hypertherm settings really point me in the right direction. The dross is not too bad, but could be better and there is some kerf. On straight edges it looks okay, on small rounded edges, it doesn't look so good. I know that the machine has to slow a bit and that could be why the dross increases...I have a Hyperthem 45, my setting are 45 amps. cutting at 320-360 ipm, air pressure is 80 lbs (air is dry). Any suggestions?
PlasmaDesigns
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaDesigns »

I never get the plastic coated stainless 304 that is primarily made for the waterjets and not plasma cutters. I cut with a Hypertherm 1000 and cut up to 1/4" SS with no issues. I get zero dross on all stainless I cut it's as clean as can bee front and back. I don't use water so I don't have that issue. Might I suggest a good refrigerated air dryer and only use fine cut tips.. Bet regards, John
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

That coating is for alowing the sheet to sit on slats without scratching but primarily to protect a laser optic. You should be peeling it off before loading. Load it gently and you should have no issues. Plasma just has too big of a HAZ to leave the plastic on the sheet. Your slats dont come to a point so you shouldnt be damaging the sheet unless your loading and then sliding it into position.
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

I've never had any problem leaving the plastic on (on top), and cutting. It does melt the plastic on each side of the cut, but everything still peels off nicely.
rikduk
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rikduk »

Regarding the cut, i dont have problems with dross.
I could try lowering or emptying the pan, but smoke and shit is terrible.
What i like about the plastic is i can bend and manipulate it without scratching it.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, i'll send feedback when i cut stainless.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”