Question for Jim Colt

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Question for Jim Colt

Post by OTHill »

I keep getting code 30 on my HT 65 plasma.The manual says something like torch stuck open or closed.What is the cause of this and whats the cure? It happened about 10 times today and than I always have to restart.I have replaced consumables numerous times.Usually after maybe 1/2 hr. of cutting it starts again.I am using genuine HT consumables.This has been an ongoing problem since I set up over a year ago and always happens on a pierce.Thanks Allan.
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Question for Jim Colt

Post by jimcolt »

The Torch stuck error indicates that the electrode is not sliding freely inside the torch....when this occurs it will not start. The electrode slides inside the composite swirl ring. A damaged or work swirl ring will cause tis error code. Low inlet pressure will cause this code. Worn, damaged or defective electrodes and nozzles will cause the error code.

If you have not changed the swirl ring....I suggest trying that first.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
grindergary

Post by grindergary »

I just had the same problem on the weekend. Pulled the electrode out and the swirl ring came out too. A new or other partially used electrode would slide into the swirl ring with ease. The other electrode seems to have grown as it would get stuck in the swirl ring. Changed the electrode and a new swirl ring and the problem went away.

Cant figure how the electrode grew in diameter, even cold. All my consumables are genuine HT products from an authorized distributor.

Gary
4x8 Home made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
4x8 Home Router made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
Candcnc DHCTII Electronics
Hypertherm Powermax 105 machine torch
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel Draw 8, V Carve Pro
Miller CTS 280 Miller Mig
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Thanks Jim and Gary.Will try those suggestions.Allan
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

why does the electrode need to move in the swirl ring?
i assumed it was jammed in there when the retaining cap was tightened.
does the electrode turn when air goes thru it?
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

I'm sure Jim will correct me if I don't get this 100% correct but the electrode is normally under spring pressure and pushed down contacting the inside of the nozzle. To create an arc the air pressure pushes the electrode back / away from the nozzle, striking an arc. This starts the "plasmarisation" (I made that up :D ) and the arc transfers to the metal.

If you look inside the nozzle you may see an area of arcing where the pilot arc gets struck. I never had a clue about this until Jim explained it some time back.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

If you go to this link.....and take the plasma technology course (free) it will describe in detail how the blowback (moving electrode) technology works in a Powermax torch.

http://www.hypertherm.com/en-us/Trainin ... to_plasma/

In short: The electrode and nozzle are touching when their is no air flow to the torch. When you trigger the torch....the electrical energy gets to the torch immediately, positive to the nozzle and negative to the electrode. Since they are touching (via the spring loaded torch or electrode, depending on which model) there is a dead electrical short in the torch. Moments later the air pressure arrives in the torch, the increase in pressure overcomes the spring tension and pushes the electrode back (blowback) in the torch. By breaking the short between electrode and nozzle their is an ensuing spark.....which the air passes through in its effort to exit through the nozzle orifice. The spark heats the air molecules to their ionization temperature (they become more electrically conductive) and the plasma arc is started....the arc is forced by the air pressure through the nozzle orifice.....and if there is material in close proximity (connected to the work ground) the arc finds an easier path to the plate. As more air feeds into the intense cutting arc it immediately ionizes and becomes conductive.....and generates intense heat.

So.....anything that disrupts the action in the torch will cause the torch not to fire.

-Low air pressure
-Worn out, dirty electrode or nozzle
-Worn or damaged swirl ring
-Dirty or damaged moving parts in the torch
-Moisture, oil, particulates in the air
-Air pressure too high
-Incorrectly manufactured consumables (aftermarket)
-Overtightened retaining cap

Jim Colt

_Ogre wrote:why does the electrode need to move in the swirl ring?
i assumed it was jammed in there when the retaining cap was tightened.
does the electrode turn when air goes thru it?
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

interesting, jim. thanks for that info.
hint if you follow the link: at step 7 choose the long video.
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Thanks Jim. You are so much help. I will try to watch that video soon.Allan

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”