Cutting circles

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
KeeYaw
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Cutting circles

Post by KeeYaw »

I down loaded a Army Logo cut ready file from here. When I bring it up in corel to preview it shows that the circle is clean on outside of edges but when I cut it about every 1 1/2 inches the circle has edges. How can I tell if the circle will be a smooth cut before I cut it? Ive cut many smooth circles since I got table. So it seems its something in file or something I need to adjust but cant tell until its cut. Any help would be appricated!
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Cutting circles

Post by Gamelord »

Are you looking at the DXF file or the corel CDR file? When you export the corel draw file to DXF, it will sometimes export the arch's (curves) as segmented lines. Import the actual DXF file and it should show you what it will be cutting.

To get Corel to export smoother curves, look into the DXF tool plugin for Corel (search the forum). Or...you can take the curve in corel and add in a ton of nodes to the arc to break down the larger segments into very small segments so that it will appear to be much smoother when you export it.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
KeeYaw
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by KeeYaw »

Well, not real sure but it was a dxf file I downloaded. Will check when back in shop. Also, how do I get the pierce to be inside the circle. Im cutting some holes in 1/2 plate and dont want to see any of the pierce hole. Thx very much!
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Not sure on your setup, but when I cut I create a tool path that compensates for the kerf of the torch. The tool path has a lead-in that pierces in the middle of the hole and then moves out to cut the hole. Also make sure of the direction of the cut so your hole is more square.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
KeeYaw
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by KeeYaw »

Im using WinCNC Controller. And no I havent really learned it yet, basically just been drawing up in Corel x6 the export to thumb drive then to machine and cut. I have not messed with any kerf comp nor know where to do it with WinCNC. Right now Im being lazy cause I travel alot and and just trying to learn a lil for when Im in town to mess with machine. Thx for patients. Machine is for personal use and purchased it as green to CNC as you can get! :mrgreen:

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”