Tourch not working

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
minerscreek
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Tourch not working

Post by minerscreek »

I have the powermax 45 hooked up to the plasma cam. I can detect the machine and initialize okay. When I go to cut it just outlines the cut but wont cut. Plasma wont arch. I replaced all consumables but still nothing.
Any help?
Thanks.
JT
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Tourch not working

Post by jimcolt »

If you press the "Test" button on the operator panel....does the torch fire? If yes...., do you have the plasma on button on the operator panel active? (when off, it will just trial run a part withoout firing).

Jim Colt

minerscreek wrote:I have the powermax 45 hooked up to the plasma cam. I can detect the machine and initialize okay. When I go to cut it just outlines the cut but wont cut. Plasma wont arch. I replaced all consumables but still nothing.
Any help?
Thanks.
JT
minerscreek
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by minerscreek »

Something that simple. The on switch. After hours of trying everything else. That's why you get the big bucks!
Thanks Jim. I'm cutting again.
JT
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

That one has had me stumped for more than a few minutes....I hate to admit!

Jim Colt
jpkita
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jpkita »

Hey All

We just got a new plasmacam model 510 and are in the process of setting it up. Everything has been assembled, but we are having a problem with the torch. It won't fire. The plasmacam will trace out our pattern, but no activity from the torch.

The table is a samson 510
The plasma cutter is a hypertherm 1250 (machine is on and air is hooked up and on)
Computer runs Vista

Here is what we have tried ( we are using the program provided)

1. -Settings -Settings - System Start up -Detect Machine (Machine was detected successfully)
2.- Machine -Initialize ( Movement from cam , it grinds a little but that is apparently normal)
3. Make a pattern , set cut path , do a dry run

At this point it seems like its gonna work, but if we turn the cutting option to auto, the cam stops and we get an error message that says something like "no signal from torch"

We double checked the trigger , the wiring in the machine , and all other factors with the plasma cutter and cant find anything wrong. All things were prepared exactly as the video manual describes.

When we hit test in the cut menu on the control panel , nothing happens- no light no activity from the torch

Any thoughts?
see&see
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by see&see »

Sounds like the trigger function isn't getting to the cutter. The Plasmacam video manual gave the wrong trigger connection for the mechanical torch (the handheld is different) on the Powermax 85 and I had the same problem. So I got in touch with Jim Colt and he gave me the right hookup which solved the problem instantly..

Or could be the ground connection...
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Are you using the hand torch or machine torch?

-If using the hand torch the wiring between the Plasmacam cable and the 1250 must be done exactly as the plasmacam video manual suggests.

-If using a machine torch, the above wiring will not work, instead you need to connect the two torch trigger wires to pins 3 and 4 of the Powermax1250's rear panel interface port. If using the hand torch.....the interface port is non-functional.

When you have it wired correctly...the torch will fire when the test button is pressed.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

jpkita wrote:Hey All

We just got a new plasmacam model 510 and are in the process of setting it up. Everything has been assembled, but we are having a problem with the torch. It won't fire. The plasmacam will trace out our pattern, but no activity from the torch.

The table is a samson 510
The plasma cutter is a hypertherm 1250 (machine is on and air is hooked up and on)
Computer runs Vista

Here is what we have tried ( we are using the program provided)

1. -Settings -Settings - System Start up -Detect Machine (Machine was detected successfully)
2.- Machine -Initialize ( Movement from cam , it grinds a little but that is apparently normal)
3. Make a pattern , set cut path , do a dry run

At this point it seems like its gonna work, but if we turn the cutting option to auto, the cam stops and we get an error message that says something like "no signal from torch"

We double checked the trigger , the wiring in the machine , and all other factors with the plasma cutter and cant find anything wrong. All things were prepared exactly as the video manual describes.

When we hit test in the cut menu on the control panel , nothing happens- no light no activity from the torch

Any thoughts?

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”