CandCNC new dthc IV : has anybody ordered?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

CandCNC new dthc IV : has anybody ordered?

Post by Oldsarge »

If you haven't seen the video on their page, they have a table cutting corrugated steel, I think at 180 ipm and the torch is just dancing across the plate! Has anybody ordered the new system? I just placed an order, but was wondering if anyone is using one yet? I went with the catIV version no more parallel port, runs with cat IV cable, no more operating system restrictions other than no 64 bit Windows!

Looking forward to this upgrade, as I've always been battling height control issues especially on thicker material... I'm hoping that this will take my table up a few notches because it cuts extremely well in every other way, I just hate having to baby sit longer cuts.... I'll report on it once it comes in and I get it working!

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: CandCNC new dthc IV : has anybody ordered?

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

interesting, looking forward to your report...

the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDj5SSle-ng
Rister
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Rister »

I wish you good luck, the install is easier than the manual that has been written and modified. i am still trying to get the bugs out of mine.
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

Rister wrote:I wish you good luck, the install is easier than the manual that has been written and modified. i am still trying to get the bugs out of mine.
So are you having problems with the system? What OS are you using? I'm planning to use windows 7 on a newer computer, I went with the Cat5 version, is that what you are using? I briefly read through the manual, and it's an easy hardware install, but it's like starting fresh as far as motor tuning and a few other values that I can see.....

What issues are you having? I'm really looking forward to this system, so I hope it's worth the investment!

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
Rister
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Rister »

Dthv4 with ethernet. Its like starting all over again. I am running windows xp. I need to just order one of their windows 7 that are already setup.

All i can cut is without the thc. My voltage preset has to be at 174 or higher to get the table to move without just diving from the start. But that being said guess what the torch is a mile in the air. I have tried everything i can thinkof. Switch off set, 0 for ohmic, swapped voltage dividers backand forth, thc delay no matter what its set at it dives when its done.
I have been on the support forum and have gotten some help but i have gotten nowhere with it. I am stuck on day shift at work so i cant callin to get help.

I purchased the upgrade to be able to cut corrugated.
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by HammerDownJustin »

I have been thinking about it also. Please let me know how it works out. I am worried about spending that cash to be limited to 32 bit systems. How much was it all I havent actually added it all up yet. Heard you could trade a few parts in.
shiner2001
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by shiner2001 »

I too am probably not far from ordering this setup to replace the HORRIBLE THC control system on my BurnTables unit. Looking forward to hearing from others that have experience with the DTHC IV.
Derek
Precision Plasma LD 4x8
CandCNC BladeRunner EtherCut Mark IV
HT PM 45
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

I'm in the process of configuring a separate system with a clean stripped down version of windows 7 just for this upgrade... I'll keep my working computer separate in case I need to get something cut in a hurry, but I'll copy all my motor tuning numbers as a starting place. I printed out the entire users manual today, and I'm about half way through reading it.... I strongly recommend taking the time to read it cover to cover before hooking anything up... it is a different THC, and I'm so anxious to get it set up!

A 32 bit system is ok with me, I think a 64 bit system is so far beyond the needs of a CNC plasma system, but reading through what Tom has come up with, at least on paper is amazing, and watching that video made me a believer to the point that I spent money that I didn't really have at the moment to get ready for some big things I'm trying to get going.

The trade-in is for working hardware you return, and the amount of rebate depends on the version of the hardware you have.... $200 for newer stuff, $100 for pre ver. 10 I believe. I opted for the ether cut version, which requires the 4 port USB to RS485 hub... With shipping included it was around $985.

I know it's going to be a bit of work to get this hooked up and dialed in, but I think I've learned enough in the last year and a half of doing this that I should have it going in short order (I hope!) I really don't have a need to cut corrugated materials, and even though I know I'm going to try it and maybe develop some art work using it, my motivation is to finally get a THC that is rock solid, dependable, and fast.... I'll shoot some video of the setup, configuration and testing to share here.... Just remember the dance.... Dry air, good ground, follow the cut tables, motor tuning, good consumables.....

Now I just need to wait for the mailman to hurry up once it's shipped!

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
Rister
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Rister »

PM sent Sarge
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I've ordered up the dthc IV with the ethercut. It hasn't come in yet, so can't really say anything about it. I've been trying to download some more documentation on it, but the candcnc.com site is down. I guess it's just a waiting game for a while longer yet.
Doc
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Doc »

I ordered the Ethercut system to upgrade the one that came with the (used) table, a Plazamroute Blaze3, which was cutting erratically with a THC that was off and on useless.
Because of some miscommunication, I was sent a system that could not be connected to my old components and had to ship everything back to CNC. They were very good about making it right and doing the needed modifications.
The system now is set up and connected, and after a successful ping of the system card I still have no motion from the table -- no jog, no movement to cut. The setup manual is very complete, but won't solve all of the startup issues.
Waiting for an answer from Tom or one of his folks at CNC.
Any suggestions?
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

I only upgraded to the 3100 setup. The THC is the same between them. I kept my single Parallel for the motor drives. The THC is awesome, and trouble free. I have zero issues with my XP , so I decided to leave well enough alone for now on the drives. I could always retro fit that part down the road.. I use it with my Esab Powercut 1600, and Victor A-120. Volts are rock solid, and follows the plate perfect. It's my third THC upgrade, and it's keeps getting better, and better.. Installs are easier now too. I had a few little settings to work out at first, and zero issue since...
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I just ordered the same as BrandX today. Using XP too will see how thing work out. The THC I had was not reliable seems to be good words here about Tom and CandCNC.

Have fun
Tom
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Follow up report on my up-grade of a MP3100 DTHC-IV into my DIY table. I reconfigured my controller to add the new electronics. All went well as with new things I miss stepped generating the first g-code and after tech support info I cut some 14 Ga. today. I still have a few things to clean up (cut rules) and to rearrange a few wires for a final configuring of the controller box. I am well pleased. :D :D

Have fun
Tom
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Countryguy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Any Updates? CandCNC new dthc IV : has anybody ordered?

Post by Countryguy »

I wondered if anyone here could say something thumbs UP/DOWN on the CandCNC DTHC IV??? like.... HE77 Yeah! buy it. Best thing I did.... Or... Geee. Still fumbling!!! Just not mature yet in the post drivers and Mach3 space? I run XP but can setup a 2nd Win7PC w/ fresh install etc.

I searched for DTHC and IV found this thread! Been with iPlasme and CandCNC DTHC II w/ about zero complaints on XP. Now- The trade in is down to $50 and then you need to call and get that OK'd. I wonder if I should just keep the DTHC II as a warm spare??? (Just save off Mach3 folder) . Then get the new setup going...

Quote is $700 now just to go to DTHC IV... ouch. But I wonder what's coming and what it will go to after the 1st of the year? anyone w/ some info??
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

HI
As I said before I am well pleased with the MP3100 DTHC-IV I bought and installed on my DIY table. I will say the manuals could be better laid out. I am using XP on my PC. The unit reacts very fast and keeps the torch very closely controlled. There is a need for path rules but once installed its fine. I did write up a simplified install PDF to copy my install which I will send to those that want it.
Questions submitted to CandCNC were answered quickly I would say its a plus all the way around. :D
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Corfabrication
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Corfabrication »

I wouldn't mind a simplified copy of that, I have found myself bouncing all over the intstructions and confusing myself along the way.lol
Sales@corfabrication.com
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

sent to email address Sales@corfabrication.com
have fur
Tom
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Corfabrication
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Corfabrication »

Thank you.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

The Ether-Cut will run on WIN7 64 bit (at least on the Dell computers we have loaded it on) We are working on videos about setting up the the DTHCIV (which has separate tuning than the motor tuning for MACH Z) . The Ether-Cut (tm) is an added amount of setup that can make the process more tedious. Every release we are trying to make it a little easier. The key thing on the Ether-Cut is to use the Master Installer to do the base install then follow that up with the EtherCut Upgrader off the website (Manuals Page) in that ZIP are two things that real important (besides the PDF manuals). There is a DTHCIV firmware update to ver 1.3 and a new POST for SheetCAM that puts in the ability to turn on or off options in the POST and has more automation built in. We added the "Min Cut Length for DTHC" so you can set a length (any shape) and if it is less than the setting leaves the DTHC disabled. This is real handy on cutting small objects (like smaller holes) This is for the entire operation . On of the new parameters is the "DTHC Response Profile". Without having to open the DTHCIV Settings in MACH you can specify the Response Profile (PID tuning). 1 - slow (default and used on most normal cutting of flat material) 2 = medium and 3 = Fast (for aggressive cutting like corrugated. So now the Response curve is automated.

We will be releasing a new Master Installer in the next 5 days that integrates the Upgrade into the base install but we will keep the Upgrade Installer current too for existing installs.

Moving from a DTHCII to a DTHCIV is like moving from a sports car to a formula one racer. Moving from other THC or no THC at all to the DTHCIV is a bigger shock.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Tom,
with a dthc 1V 3100 setup. Which download do I use to upgrade that setup? Just to be clear in my head before I change anything.. I am assuming just the DTHCIV firmware update to ver 1.3 and a new POST for SheetCAM would be what I am looking for?
Corfabrication
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Corfabrication »

Thank you acourtjester for the help. I'm so happy to have the table cutting correctly.I actually used the THC on a part today and the cut quality looks like the pictures I sent to you yesterday.
Attachments
3/16
3/16
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Happy to help
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Nacs Fab »

I saw mentioned above about trade in value - any of you trading in their old DTHC II systems want to sell yours to me at a fair price? I am thinking about buying this to upgrade from my LCTHC setup. I use a Gecko G540 so I need the DTHC MP3000 II system to work seamlessly. Just trying to save some pennies.
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

acourtjester wrote:HI
I did write up a simplified install PDF to copy my install which I will send to those that want it.
Sure now I find this. :D

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”