torch alignment tool

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Metal Storm
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

torch alignment tool

Post by Metal Storm »

Hey everyone, first I want to say that this was not my idea. there was another guy on the spider that made one and I thought that it was absolutely brilliant. so I gathered some stuff I had rolling around the shop and a bulls eye level. some of you may not have access to some of the materials I do but it does not matter. it is the end result that matters just make sure that when you build your own that EVERYTHING is straight and square.
I have been struggling with torch alignment from day one, due to the fact that the hand torches are made for ergonomic fit and have nothing that can be used for alignment. when I saw the design of the person who came up with the concept the more I saw my cuts the more it ate me up. so I built my version and it worked so well that the cuts have almost no dross and are clean. I knew that alignment made a difference but due to my struggle I had no idea how much of a difference, holy smoke! if you are getting dross on one side of the cut especially in the curves than the torch needs to be aligned.
well check out the pictures and see what u think. at least I get more use out of the old torch electrodes. ;)
Attachments
pcam torch alignment tool.jpg
pcam torch alignment tool3.jpg
pcam torch alignment tool2.jpg
Metal Storm
by J.P. Janeway
nuke1jj@gmail.com
Plasma Cam DHC2
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: torch alignment tool

Post by jimcolt »

Here's my torch alignment tool. I use my hand torch for hand cutting. This is a magnetic breakaway that does not get out of alignment, and in the (inevitable) event of a collision the torch suffers no damage. Only takes a second to disconnect it and check or change consumables. Over time, far less expensive as compared to using a hand torch on a cnc machine.

Jim Colt
new pics 013.jpg
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

I'll second that!

Allen
Metal Storm
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Metal Storm »

do they make it or a conversion for thermal dyne cutmaster 38. this would be great but many of us have limited fundage and are just starting out, so a tool like the one i fabricated from the inspiration of another spider member works well for what we have. many times we have to make what we have work. however i have a birthday comming up if anyone wants to know any gift ideas.?

what does something like this cost and the equiptment to adapt it?
Metal Storm
by J.P. Janeway
nuke1jj@gmail.com
Plasma Cam DHC2
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The mount in my picture is from www.snapncut.com , runs around $295. The torch in the picture is the mini-machine torch as used on Hypertherm Powermax 65, 85, and 105 systems. This torch costs more than the hand torch, but is desgined specifically for machine cutting....more robust, better means of mounting, etc.

I understand the budget requirements! The torch alignment fixture is a great idea. I just wanted to show that there is at least another solution as well!

Jim Colt
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Mike's build thread here http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... way#p39913 shows how he went about fabricating his own magnetic breakaway torch mount.
Murray
Metal Storm
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: torch alignment tool and tooling change outs

Post by Metal Storm »

I really would like to go this route some day. I have been working on some designs for a quick change system to make a clamping system for my engraver, router and cutter. so any time I need to change tooling it just snaps and locks in place and any unused tool will just swing out of the way with some type of quick connect wiring. as u can read it is still on the drawing board and im sure there are others that may have already built theirs. so any suggestions in this area will be appreciated
Metal Storm
by J.P. Janeway
nuke1jj@gmail.com
Plasma Cam DHC2

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”