THC riding up

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

THC riding up

Post by OTHill »

Hi .I've got Cand cnc electronics and my thc suddenly started riding up.Seems like some setting has got changed and I don't know what.It goes down to pierce height,fires the torch,pierces barely and than starts riding up and goes to rapid height and of course it doesn't cut.Anybody got ideas please?
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
cbassjr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: THC riding up

Post by cbassjr »

Had the same problem and it was the ground. I was using the ground on the table and found my steel supplier wasn't always buying from the same supplier and started putting the ground on the plate itself and problem went away. maybe you have the same problem, hope this helps.
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

cbassjr wrote:Had the same problem and it was the ground. I was using the ground on the table and found my steel supplier wasn't always buying from the same supplier and started putting the ground on the plate itself and problem went away. maybe you have the same problem, hope this helps.
I've tried that already and it did not help.The problem started while cutting 3/16 plate.I did not change anything except went to cut another file on the same plate and bang the problem started.I think I will try again with the ground clamp.Maybe try and grind a clean spot this time.Thanks.
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

A poor ground will cause the torch to dive into the plate....not to rise. This is an arc voltage feedback circuit, higher voltage equals higher height. Did you change the arc voltage setting to a higher number......if so, the torch will rise trying to achive that number. If the torch is riding too high, lower the voltage setting a few volts at a time until the height is correct (the correct height depends on your plasma....and the specs for cut height).

Jim Colt Hypertherm

OTHill wrote:
cbassjr wrote:Had the same problem and it was the ground. I was using the ground on the table and found my steel supplier wasn't always buying from the same supplier and started putting the ground on the plate itself and problem went away. maybe you have the same problem, hope this helps.
I've tried that already and it did not help.The problem started while cutting 3/16 plate.I did not change anything except went to cut another file on the same plate and bang the problem started.I think I will try again with the ground clamp.Maybe try and grind a clean spot this time.Thanks.
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Thanks Jim I was just playing around with it now again and it seems you are right .When I lowered the voltage it started working again.
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Still not happy.Some times I have to set voltage 10 or 11 volts lower.Than another time I can go maybe 4 or 5 volts lower and cut good.Something has gone wrong.I also notice that plasma does not shut off any more if it runs over the edge of the plate.I have always had to set voltage lower than book specs.Don't know whats gone wrong.I had to do a reload of Sheetcam lately due to a computer break down.Any more ideas anyone? Thanks
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The mode switch on the plasma being in the "expanded metal" position instead of the "cut" position will allow the torch to stay on when it goes past the edge of the metal. If the switch is in this position it will also alter the voltage feedback circuitry....which will make your voltage/height relationship change. Check that the mode switch is in the cut position.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

OTHill wrote:Still not happy.Some times I have to set voltage 10 or 11 volts lower.Than another time I can go maybe 4 or 5 volts lower and cut good.Something has gone wrong.I also notice that plasma does not shut off any more if it runs over the edge of the plate.I have always had to set voltage lower than book specs.Don't know whats gone wrong.I had to do a reload of Sheetcam lately due to a computer break down.Any more ideas anyone? Thanks
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

I have the switch in the cut position where it belongs.My machine seems to have cured itself for now.Still don't know what went wrong.Can't fix it if it ain't broke no more.Thanks till next time.
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by HammerDownJustin »

OTHill wrote:I have the switch in the cut position where it belongs.My machine seems to have cured itself for now.Still don't know what went wrong.Can't fix it if it ain't broke no more.Thanks till next time.

Mine did this with the same electronics a few weeks ago. Ended up unpluging the cat 5 cable and blowing out real good with a air hose and went back to working perfect again.
Home built 5x10 table CandCNC electronics
Miller 251 Mig
And lots of other cool stuff...
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

HammerDownJustin wrote:
OTHill wrote:I have the switch in the cut position where it belongs.My machine seems to have cured itself for now.Still don't know what went wrong.Can't fix it if it ain't broke no more.Thanks till next time.

Mine did this with the same electronics a few weeks ago. Ended up unpluging the cat 5 cable and blowing out real good with a air hose and went back to working perfect again.
Clue me in .Whats the cat 5 cable?
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by HammerDownJustin »

The one that looks like a giant phone cord. Cant remember the name of the little box. Goes between my plasma and the main control box.
Home built 5x10 table CandCNC electronics
Miller 251 Mig
And lots of other cool stuff...
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

HammerDownJustin wrote:The one that looks like a giant phone cord. Cant remember the name of the little box. Goes between my plasma and the main control box.
Thanks everyone!

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”