1/4" mild steel, how's this look?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

1/4" mild steel, how's this look?

Post by Shane Warnick »

New to this plasma cutting deal, cutting on a samson 5x10 with a hypertherm powermax 1250, T80M machine torch with snapcut breakaway holder. Clean dry air, cut this plate last night with 60 amp, 60 ipm, cut height .0625", kerf 0.070", pierces were @ 0.125", ohmic sensing with 60amp consumables. The edges are straight for the most part, very minimal bevel, mostly where there are radical changes in direction (sharp corners). The holes are 3/4" and measured 0.75" on the top side, 0.680" on the back side, so 70 thousandths bevel, or 35 thousandths per side. Dross on the backside was minimal, flaked right off with a scraper, no grinding was required, zero top side dross, only a small wisp, if that makes sense, that wiped off with my glove.

I experimented with several different amp settings and speeds using the hypertherm book as a starting point and adjusting based on dross and angularity. Finally settled on the above as it seemed to best quality of cut, then I cut this out.

I was just wondering if this is as good as is to be expected / normal (I realize it's not a lazer nor a waterjet) or if I should keep swinging and try to make it better. I don't want to waste steel and time chasing something that's not really attainable. I have attached a few pictures for reference.

So I ask you, oh wise and knowledgeable masses, what say you? Looks great? Meh, could be better, keep trying fat boy? Looks like you hit the middle, seen better, seen worse?

Thanks in advance for your time on this.
Shane
Attachments
IMG_20140204_112505_550.jpg
IMG_20140204_112519_260.jpg
IMG_20140204_110031_356.jpg
IMG_20140204_110000_324.jpg
IMG_20140204_105821_557.jpg
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 1/4" mild steel, how's this look?

Post by mdwalker »

The more important question is how does it look to you. From the pictures it looks pretty good, might could tweak it a little. If you see any issues with it you could point them out and somebody on here would be able to give you advice on whether that is acceptable or if something needs adjusted.

Danny
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

Only thought would be that your dross is low speed dross, and you could have less by going a touch faster. This is reinforced by seeing that the profile of cut would suggest the plasma is going through the material at a 90? angle, and to get the faster less slow speed dross you should get an angle of about 30? lag from the torch, if that makes sense.

This is a very crude sketch...
Plasma Direction.PNG
Plasma Direction.PNG (10.88 KiB) Viewed 1937 times
Plasma Direction.PNG
Plasma Direction.PNG (10.88 KiB) Viewed 1937 times
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

For best quality you should always use the smallest nozzles that will cut a given thickness. The 1250 cut charts list quarter inch steel with the 40 amp nozzles.

If you are happy to spend some more money, you could get the Duramax machine torch. Many people rave over the increased cut quality as compared to the original 1250 torches.

If the dross in your pictures is very difficult to remove (like it's welded on) then that is high speed dross, so lowering the cut speed could help at least with that part of things.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by JJsCustomDesigns »

with my 1250 i was running 40amp tips @ 55ipm and had great results on 1/4". I didnt have the duramax torch but i had a T80M machine torch.
"There are bigger things planned for you in your life, be patient"

Im on the prowl for a good used Hypertherm Plasma with hand torch.
PM me with details
Thanks
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

1. The dross indicates too slow, or incorrect height. (Height must be .060"). If the height is correct, increase speed until dross is gone.
2. Better cuts on 1/4" wiill be achieved using the 40 amps shielded consumables. Better edge angularity and smoother edges, less taper in holes. Again, height is critical, start at book specs on speed, slower is squarer, but higher chance of dross.

Overall, looks pretty good!

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Shane Warnick wrote:New to this plasma cutting deal, cutting on a samson 5x10 with a hypertherm powermax 1250, T80M machine torch with snapcut breakaway holder. Clean dry air, cut this plate last night with 60 amp, 60 ipm, cut height .0625", kerf 0.070", pierces were @ 0.125", ohmic sensing with 60amp consumables. The edges are straight for the most part, very minimal bevel, mostly where there are radical changes in direction (sharp corners). The holes are 3/4" and measured 0.75" on the top side, 0.680" on the back side, so 70 thousandths bevel, or 35 thousandths per side. Dross on the backside was minimal, flaked right off with a scraper, no grinding was required, zero top side dross, only a small wisp, if that makes sense, that wiped off with my glove.

I experimented with several different amp settings and speeds using the hypertherm book as a starting point and adjusting based on dross and angularity. Finally settled on the above as it seemed to best quality of cut, then I cut this out.

I was just wondering if this is as good as is to be expected / normal (I realize it's not a lazer nor a waterjet) or if I should keep swinging and try to make it better. I don't want to waste steel and time chasing something that's not really attainable. I have attached a few pictures for reference.

So I ask you, oh wise and knowledgeable masses, what say you? Looks great? Meh, could be better, keep trying fat boy? Looks like you hit the middle, seen better, seen worse?

Thanks in advance for your time on this.
Shane
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

Thanks everyone for the input, I will tweak on it a little and see what happens. Thanks again for your time. Stay safe
Shane

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”