Cut Settings for VersaCut 40

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Cut Settings for VersaCut 40

Post by Capstone »

So... I realize the Eastwood VersaCut 40 may not be the first choice for a CNC Table, but it's what I could afford and as far as quality, ease of use and price, it's been a pretty good value.

But, now that I have made all the necessary modifications to use the CandCNC Bladerunner AIO setup with DTHC II, I'm struggling with how best to get the proper pierce/cutting speeds to enter in to Sheetcam so I have a "tool box" for different metal types and thicknesses. There seems to be just too many variables that I'm unable to address just to even get the ball rolling on even getting the torch to work, let alone test cut quality.

Are there any general rules of thumb on this subject just based on the amperage and air pressure settings for the IPM/Metal spec's?

Specs

Amperage Output Range: 14-40 Amps
Output Voltage: 96 V
Weight: 29 Lbs.
Duty Cycle: 60% @ 40A
Overall Dimensions: 20.0? (508 mm) x 9.75? (248 mm) x 20.0? (508 mm)
Electrical Input:110 VAC or 220 VAC
Air Requirements: 5-7 CFM@ 20-60 PSI

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

EDIT: Since it was mentioned, I don't have MFR's suggested cut listing. Eastwood contracts this cutter as an in-house brand and I am pretty sure it's a Chinese-built machine, but no where do they provide this data that I can find.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cut Settings for VersaCut 40

Post by jimcolt »

Attached is a cut chart from a Hypertherm Max40. This is from 1986, and this is the torch (copied in China) that the Eastwood uses, it was deesigned at Hypertherm in 1985, in fact I was on the design team. While it is old technology, it is kind of flattering that this old torch is still being used!

The newer technology plasma from Hypertherm produce much higher energy density and 10 to 12 times longer consumable life, faster cut speeds, better edge angularity, etc.

This chart is nowhere near as complete as our newer charts, so use the following rules of thumb to make it work better.

Cut height needs to be between 1/16" and 1/8". Pierce height needs to be 3/16". Set cut air pressure when flowing at the torch to 65-70 psi. Do not drag cut....very short nozzle life will be the result!

Good luck, hope this helps a bit.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
max40cutchart.jpg
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Thanks Jim, soooo Much.

You're such an awesome resource of info!!
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Jim,

I have a CandCNC Bladerunner AIO hooked up and just can't get this cutter to work through MACH3/Sheetcam.

All of the other issues like ground and air have been addressed and I can get the torch to cut very cleanly, but only when I manually hold the trigger, not through MACH3. I have the recommendedVelox CNC Touch and Go 6" "Z".
After I adjusted all of the tolerances to your specs yesterday, I spent the rest of the afternoon totally frustrated adjusting the Post Offsets with the best result being that I could get the torch to pierce, but then just stop.
Since clearly you're an authority on this cutter; Can you think of something inherent to the cutter that would make it impossible to use as a CNC Cutter due to Arc issues or setting a pre-set voltage or anything else I might be missing?
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I am not an authority on the Eastwood Versa Cut 40. I am an authority on the torch that it uses as it is a copy of a 30 year old Hypertherm torch.

The Eastwood plasma is a high frequency start plasma cutter, I would not recommend it for use on any cnc machine that uses a PC or a Laptop as the cnc control. The electrical noise interference created by the high frequency starting circuit will affect the computer and electronics on your machine in many ways!

My guess is that the electrical noise is causing the start output to bounce....which will immediately extinguish the arc. You can contact CandCNC.com , they may be able to help. I suspect they have run into this same situation, and likely will recommend a blowback start plasma system (non high frequency) for proper performance.

Jim Colt

Capstone wrote:Jim,

I have a CandCNC Bladerunner AIO hooked up and just can't get this cutter to work through MACH3/Sheetcam.

All of the other issues like ground and air have been addressed and I can get the torch to cut very cleanly, but only when I manually hold the trigger, not through MACH3. I have the recommendedVelox CNC Touch and Go 6" "Z".
After I adjusted all of the tolerances to your specs yesterday, I spent the rest of the afternoon totally frustrated adjusting the Post Offsets with the best result being that I could get the torch to pierce, but then just stop.
Since clearly you're an authority on this cutter; Can you think of something inherent to the cutter that would make it impossible to use as a CNC Cutter due to Arc issues or setting a pre-set voltage or anything else I might be missing?
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Jim,

Thanks for the prompt reply. This is the first I've heard about the potential pitfalls in a CNC machine with this particular cutter. I know that CandCNC, understandably, won't endorse no-name cutters or spend much time researching the issue you just raised, so I am immensely grateful for your insight.

It would appear that I'm now in the market for a new cutter. :)

I got a very reasonable price quote locally for a HT PM45 with the mechanical torch head.

Here's a long winded question; since the Eastwood has High Freq Start issue, should I stick with a hand torch on the HT PM45 and completely ditch the Eastwood for all cutting or is there some extra ordinary benefit to using the Mech-Torch head on a CNC machine that will far out way the extra expense and some loss of versatility and hang on to the Eastwood for manual cuts?

Thanks
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Machine torches are more robust and hold up longer under the higher duty cycle cutting associated with cnc machines. Further, they are easier to mount and keep perpendicular to the plate. Mine are mounted with magnetic breakaway mounts which allows for quick consumable inspection and changeout, as well as collision protection. The machine torches and hand torches from Hypertherm cut the same and can use the same consumables. One more thing....the electrical interface can be connected through the rear panel cpc connector with a machine torch....this connector is disabled when the hand torch is plugged in....for safety reasons so it cannot fire from a remote control.

Keep the Eastwood for hand cutting, or sell it and buy both the hand and machine torches for the Powermax65. You will be surprised at the power advantage the the 45 has over the Eastwood......not to mention the 4 to 5x longer consumable parts life.

Best regards, Jim Colt
new pics 013.jpg

Capstone wrote:Jim,

Thanks for the prompt reply. This is the first I've heard about the potential pitfalls in a CNC machine with this particular cutter. I know that CandCNC, understandably, won't endorse no-name cutters or spend much time researching the issue you just raised, so I am immensely grateful for your insight.

It would appear that I'm now in the market for a new cutter. :)

I got a very reasonable price quote locally for a HT PM45 with the mechanical torch head.

Here's a long winded question; since the Eastwood has High Freq Start issue, should I stick with a hand torch on the HT PM45 and completely ditch the Eastwood for all cutting or is there some extra ordinary benefit to using the Mech-Torch head on a CNC machine that will far out way the extra expense and some loss of versatility and hang on to the Eastwood for manual cuts?

Thanks
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

So this statement is pretty much the deal breaker...

One more thing....the electrical interface can be connected through the rear panel cpc connector with a machine torch....this connector is disabled when the hand torch is plugged in....for safety reasons so it cannot fire from a remote control.

I guess I'm somewhat forced to get the Machine torch and as you recommend, either keep the Eastwood or sell it and get a hand torch.

Thanks Again Jim. I have learned so much from your various posts and once again you taught me and hopefully others something I didn't know yesterday.

"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." - Oscar Wilde
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

You can cut and splice internal wiring and use the hand torch on a machine....it just is not as safe or as clean of an electrical installation. There are many machines using hand torches.

Jim Colt

Capstone wrote:So this statement is pretty much the deal breaker...

One more thing....the electrical interface can be connected through the rear panel cpc connector with a machine torch....this connector is disabled when the hand torch is plugged in....for safety reasons so it cannot fire from a remote control.

I guess I'm somewhat forced to get the Machine torch and as you recommend, either keep the Eastwood or sell it and get a hand torch.

Thanks Again Jim. I have learned so much from your various posts and once again you taught me and hopefully others something I didn't know yesterday.

"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." - Oscar Wilde

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”